MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb = Notepad++
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2010-02-19, 12:09 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-02-18, 11:12 PM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]I think the point there is that VB and IPB can't really be compared to MyBB and PHPbb because they have become "social networking" software rather than forums. Sure, they do a similar thing but they have different purposes, much like Notepad++ and Word.

Bingo. Pretty sure this is explained already. Since Notepad is a text editor while Word is a word processor. Sure you can do simple text editing in word but that's not really its purpose.

VB has now officially moved toward a social networking script with version 4.
I agree but as long as they still have the function that allows people to post and reply on threads I see it as forum software which in my opinion falls into the same category as MyBB and phpBB.
(2010-02-19, 03:56 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]I agree but as long as they still have the function that allows people to post and reply on threads I see it as forum software which in my opinion falls into the same category as MyBB and phpBB.

You can do that on facebook, is facebook a forum? Likewise you can do pretty much the same thing on blogs except the thread authors are limited.
(2010-02-19, 04:09 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-02-19, 03:56 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]I agree but as long as they still have the function that allows people to post and reply on threads I see it as forum software which in my opinion falls into the same category as MyBB and phpBB.

You can do that on facebook, is facebook a forum? Likewise you can do pretty much the same thing on blogs except the thread authors are limited.
That kind of a poor example. I believe that vBulletin is the only one that are making some big steps towards another direction but still even if you like it or not they vBulletin is forum software. There main focus is providing forum software which they do but they are just adding extra features which are not needed but they believe that it will improve and make their forum software better.

IPB does not seem to be moving as rapidly or big as vBulletin to the whole Social aspect of forum software but is expanding in some areas that MyBB, SMF, and phpBB do not dol

Anyways I rest my case that vBulletin is not a Social Script that could be compared with Facebook or MySpace. Notepad and Word still fall under the same category, they're both text editors and that is the same for vBulletin and MyBB.
(2010-02-19, 04:58 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Notepad and Word still fall under the same category, they're both text editors and that is the same for vBulletin and MyBB.

I respectfully would like to disagree. In my opinion I would consider Word a word processor and Notepad a text editor but hat is just IMHO.
No the difference between notepad and word is that word adds a bunch useless information for formatting. There is a reason you can't just make a word document and just go save as index.html.
Quote:No the difference between notepad and word is that word adds a bunch useless information for formatting. There is a reason you can't just make a word document and just go save as index.html.

I don't recommend it, but you can actually.
phpbb=Notepad-Most used
Mybb=Notepad ++-An advanced and better forum software than phpbb
IPB=Openoffice-Low at rate compared to Vbulletin and has features like vBulletin.
vBulletin=Microsoft Office-High at price.More features.One of the oldest cms.Most used(in paid softwares).
- Phpbb = Notepad = Clean and Lightweight (for Bad or Good)

- MyBB = Notepad++ = Nice combination of Default Features with remarkable plugins system (almost briliant like Wordpress plugin system). Still Lightweight

- IPB = OpenOffice = Not that lightweight but a complete suite. Not free Like Openoffice, but is a good middle point

- VBulletin = Microsoft Word = Expensive, but top notch user-friendly - I always remember that animated Cartoon from MS-Office Wizzards.

This is like 'common-sense', because I only know SMF and Mybb - LOL
phpBB isn't lightweight though, that's the problem.
These are my thoughts

phpBB = Ok
Mybb = Excellent
IPB = Ok
Vbulletin = Excellent (UNTIL VERSION 4 CAME OUT WHICH IS COMPLETE GARBAGE)

Vbulletin is (OR WAS) the best PAID option while MyBB is the best FREE option Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11