MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Display Name / User Nickname Plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seems a few people wanted this and I just felt like writing something today so I made this.

It basically allows users to have a separate login and display name. Note that "username" often refers to the display name - that is, when a user uses the Change Username function of the UserCP, it will allow them to change their display name (not their login name).

Known limitations/issues:
  • Only tested on (and intentionally designed for) MySQL - dunno if it works on other DB engines
  • During activation/deactivation, the plugin will close the board whilst it performs processing to prevent potential issues with database integrity
  • It relies on a few things in the supplied English messages.lang.php and may not work correctly with other languages - this only really affects activation emails
  • Various English phrases are hard coded in
  • Login names aren't quite as vigorously checked as MyBB checks user names - this is to somewhat give users more flexibility, but a potential issue is that when this plugin is deactivated, everyone's username will be set to the login name. This will generally be a minor issue however.
  • Like login names, display names must be unique (no two people can have the same display name at the same time)
  • Quotes in posts may become a little confusing/misleading if people change their display name often - you may wish to consider my vB Quote plugin which can get around this issue
  • Often "Username" is referred to, although whether it refers to a login name or a display name may be unclear. For example, when a user tries to log in, it asks for their username and password. Perhaps I might change this to "login name and password" in a later version.
  • I haven't done a lot of testing on this, so you probably should do some before you use it (and do so at your own risk)

Hope some people find this useful.
If you do find it useful, it would be appreciated if you could comment back as such. You can post any issues/suggestions/criticisms etc here as well.

More info & download
Well done ! Congratulats
Finally, we have this feature. Amazing. Thank you very much, Yumi.
Great work Yumi Smile
WoW

Cool, Very good plugin, and also free
thanks for thinking of those who do not
have money Smile
Thanks for making it, and keeping it free.
OMG, we have this super usefull feature!!!!!

I will test this ASAP and post feedback as soon as possible!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
I needed this! Thanks so much!
wow!

very great and useful plugin.

I found a small bug in it...
After plugin activation, when I try for "Lost Password Recovery" sent me a blank mail without any subjects.
Gah, haven't tested this, but this might be it. Can you please give it a try?

Open up the file, find:
				$string = str_replace("Username: {1}", "Username: ".$GLOBALS[\'user\'][\'loginname\'], $string);
			}
		}
Replace with:
				$string = str_replace("Username: {1}", "Username: ".$GLOBALS[\'user\'][\'loginname\'], $string);
			}
			return call_user_func_array(array(parent, "sprintf"), func_get_args());
		}

There are two instances of the above, make sure you do it to both of them.
Tell me if that fixes it, and I'll stick it into the file above.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2