MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Developement VPSs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So who would be interested in a free, short term (not sure of length) developement VPS option? I've got my server rebuilt with Citrix XenServer and have allocated half of my server resources for a single VM that will be hosting HyperVM. I'm looking at renting out some of the VPSs but I was thinking of making a few available for free that can be requested for either developers or people who want to learn.

Specs would probably be 128MB of dedicated RAM with up to 512MB burstable (yes, these VPSs will be OpenVZ to utilize all of the resources), 1 CPU core (2.4GHz), 10GB of disk space, 1 dedicated IP address, and bandwidth will be capped at 512Kbps. I will get as many Linux distros available so users can have different options.

So who would be interested in something like this? I'm not sure how I will do the scheduling or determine the length of usage so I'm open to ideas. I'm probably going to have 4 VPSs available at a time plus the 4 larger ones I will be renting out to help cover the costs.

I should also mention that these options will only be available for those located in the US and Canada.
If I was developing something I would love it Toungue.
Ya I'd like one for my PHP Project Toungue
I could do with scrubbing up on some linux commands as well :angel:
PM'ed Smile
I've been fighting with this one small issue with XenServer since I installed it a while back but I think I found a fix for it but I need to reinstall all of the VMs with CentOS 5.3, then upgrade to 5.4 so it'll take me a bit to get everything setup again. I will hopefully have more information shortly though. Big Grin
Okies Big Grin
Looking forwards to it Toungue
Well it looks like I need rethink my strategy because it doesn't look like HyperVM will play nicely with the kernel I'm using for my VM. Sad

It looks like instead of having a GUI I'll just be offering SSH access with the VMs. Not a big deal but that means the OS options will be limited.
Meh I like Putty :p
I probably wouldn't use the GUI anyway.
Why were you planning on a GUI anyway? It's just more of hassle than it's worth with a vps.
It's nice to have control over your own VPS though (choosing your OS, restarting services, etc...).
Oh, sorry Polar mentioning putty confused me Toungue. I thought you meant GUI's with the OS like KDE or Gnome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4