MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Must Read] Do You Want To Run Your Own Forum for Free?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I currently run an MMA forum over at www.beatdownonline.com/forums/ which is new and growing. What I'm offering is to appoint a dedicated admin to start his own forum on a top level domain for FREE. You pick the url on beatdownonline.com (I.E. beatdownonline.com/gaming/ or something), I install the forum software of your choice, I make you a full administrator, and I leave you to do what you will with YOUR new forum (obviously I'll give you the neccessary FTP access and whatnot.) If in the end you decide you want your forum exported, you're free to move on.

I can't stress enough that I would have KILLED for someone to give me this opportunity when I first got started in administrating. This is a huge step above using free forum systems where you only have a subdomain (like yourname.freeforums.org).

What would motivate me to do this? Well, while you get set up for free, I'll be getting attention to my domain, which is just overall good.

For all questions/interests, please PM me here on mybboard.net or register at beatdownonline.com/forums/ and PM me there!
I don't get it. sub.domain.com isn't any different from domain.com/folder
(2010-03-24, 02:56 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it. sub.domain.com isn't any different from domain.com/folder

Yes, it's very different.

Free forum services have many restrictions. You're basically using my paid hosting for free. You can install what mods you want, what themes, etc. Plus, you're using a top level domain. You're using beatdownonline.com .

boxing.freeforums.org is much less appealing to potential members than beatdownonline.com/boxing/ .

You're free to do whatever my host will let you.
(2010-03-24, 03:00 AM)ryanscarp Wrote: [ -> ]boxing.freeforums.org is much less appealing to potential members than beatdownonline.com/boxing/ .

Strange... sub.domain.com has never bothered me when I'm going to a website, let alone more than domain.com/folder has. Furthermore, when you set up a subdomain it generally is also accessible as a folder. so forum.domain.com and domain.com/forum would lead to the same place (though due to cookie settings, they would not both work more than likely). So, essentially, getting a free subdomain and getting a free directory are about the same.

As for the rest, though...yeah, you're probably offering more than most free forum hosts in that people are not as restricted.
On par with free hosts like Zymic, then.
So it's a free web host with a very long and very specific domain? This is actually more restrictive than any free web host out there because they don't even get MySQL access.
This is like what Freewebs did.

freewebs.com/yoursite

now yoursite.webs.com.

Its the anyway. People are much more inclined to get a .co.cc domain instead, where they can get whatever host they want.
The title was misleading. Also, what if someone is using all of your bandwidth?
(2010-03-24, 03:26 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]So it's a free web host with a very long and very specific domain? This is actually more restrictive than any free web host out there because they don't even get MySQL access.

You could use this http://nosql.110mb.com/
(2010-03-24, 02:56 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it. sub.domain.com isn't any different from domain.com/folder
It is. Crawlers like Google, MSN, and Yahoo treat subdomains the same as domains but do not treat directories the same as domains. All the content in the root folder for the domain meaning website.com/ will be indexed quicker and more precise than content in a directory like website.com/directory.

Because subdomains have there own root directory the content located at sub.website.com/ will be index quicker and more precise than content in a directory like website.com/directory.
Pages: 1 2 3