MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Getting a new netbook, but not sure which one to get.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2010-04-02, 09:33 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-02, 09:20 PM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]If your looking for something just for business/travel then it's a great product. You can get iWork for it, plug it into a projecter, etc. So what if it doesn't have a few features that laptop has, its more portable. Plus the 3.2 software has features we don't even know yet.

I would recommend a regular laptop overall though.
@Scoutie, there are FTP Apps, If I really wanted to, I could manage a whole website from my iPod Touch.

Actually it isn't. Look at it. Its actually harder to carry around then a laptop or a netbook. Does it comes with iWork? If not thats a waste of cash to blow money on. Can you add a dock the the Ipad? Can you play flash games? Can you webchat? It sounds like your just being a mac fanboy for a product that is crap.
Crap or not, it's sold out. (but yes, it's crap)
Flash is garbage, and the iPad does have a dock.
>>Captain Awesome's Weblog
>>Flash-powered Tag Cloud
>>Flash Is Garbage

Anyways, the iPad is not intended as a workstation. It's usable for viewing the internet and ebooks, and using apps. I would (and I'm sure someone using their portable thingy alot) much rather run windows than iPhone OS. This is like trying to use an NDS as a webserver.
iPad? Are you joking me?
The Goal of the iPad is to have a leisurely product to use and also be portable.

They're putting iWork on there so you can take your iPad with you instead of your computer, so when your on a plane or something and watching a movie you can make quick last minute changes then plug your iPad into the Projector and not have to bother bringing a computer.

It's suppose to be a leisure product to replace tiny netbooks.

So what if you can't play flash games, go look at the billions of games on the App Store and the hundreds of websites for the Mobile Safari Browser.

Besides, most flash based programs have alternatives in the form of Apps.

I can download an FTP app for my iPod, buy hosting and a domain from my iPod, point my domain to my server, create files from the FTP App, then view the site from Safari.

You guys say you can't do certain things because you don't care to look at the alternatives. So What if the iPad isn't a netbook, it's a nice alternative.
Apple products are not an option. I have no interest in them nor do I want to spend that much on less functionality.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspi...8150611743

^ Get this, trust me. I'll be buying it myself when I can afford it. It happens to match all your requirements.

For the record, iWork apps cost $10 each.
(2010-04-02, 10:14 PM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]The Goal of the iPad is to have a leisurely product to use and also be portable.
Looks at design. It am thinking it would be hard to type walking.
Quote:They're putting iWork on there so you can take your iPad with you instead of your computer, so when your on a plane or something and watching a movie you can make quick last minute changes then plug your iPad into the Projector and not have to bother bringing a computer.
If you've ever made a formal presentation to a real board, most have one already there, and your supposed to just bring a key. I've done two pretty big ones, both for MOH, and both they wouldn't allow me to add my own laptop.

Quote:It's suppose to be a leisure product to replace tiny netbooks.
With less features then one?

Quote:So what if you can't play flash games, go look at the billions of games on the App Store and the hundreds of websites for the Mobile Safari Browser.
Its not just that. Its websites that use flash.

Quote:Besides, most flash based programs have alternatives in the form of Apps.
No, actually they don't.

Quote:I can download an FTP app for my iPod, buy hosting and a domain from my iPod, point my domain to my server, create files from the FTP App, then view the site from Safari.
Good for your ipod, and for Sarari really! But do you get the right picture? Is your design the right size?

Quote:You guys say you can't do certain things because you don't care to look at the alternatives. So What if the iPad isn't a netbook, it's a nice alternative.

Actually i have. I ordered a Ipad for a client. We ended having to return it because it couldn't do 1/5 of what it was needed to do. And hardly nice. I can buy 2 netbooks put linux on it, or one that even comes preloaded with windows 7/XP, for less then the Ipad, and have 200 gig more then the max storage on it.
And yes, it has to be a netbook (less than 11" screen). Mobility is my main concern (my classes are about 4 hours long so I need at least a 5 hour battery to avoid having to sit near an outlet). My current netbook is awesome except the battery only holds a 85% charge (3.5 hours) and one of the USB ports (out of 2) is going bad. I also am very limited with the VIA C7 CPU and VIA Chrome9 IGP when it comes to Linux.

I know a lot of people with the Asus EEE and I kind of like it, after seeing the 1201N that Mark posted I might be willing to consider a 12" screen though...
(2010-04-02, 10:22 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]And yes, it has to be a netbook (less than 11" screen). Mobility is my main concern (my classes are about 4 hours long so I need at least a 5 hour battery to avoid having to sit near an outlet). My current netbook is awesome except the battery only holds a 85% charge (3.5 hours) and one of the USB ports (out of 2) is going bad. I also am very limited with the VIA C7 CPU and VIA Chrome9 IGP when it comes to Linux.

I know a lot of people with the Asus EEE and I kind of like it, after seeing the 1201N that Mark posted I might be willing to consider a 12" screen though...

If your willing to go on more inch.. http://acer.com/timeline/ 8 hour battery.
Pages: 1 2 3