MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum spam ><
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-04-06, 12:19 AM)RPicard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:09 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]@RPicard, its www.tm0.org (not opened)

What made you think of that domain? I think I've seen someone with the username 'Tm0'.

My username was TheMarker0. Lazy people on forums called me Tm0. So then i just took it Toungue

(2010-04-06, 12:21 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]You may be thinking of "T0m", though I haven't seen him around much these days.

I am he. And Tm0.
(2010-04-06, 12:28 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:09 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]@RPicard, its www.tm0.org (not opened)

What made you think of that domain? I think I've seen someone with the username 'Tm0'.

My username was TheMarker0. Lazy people on forums called me Tm0. So then i just took it Toungue

(2010-04-06, 12:21 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]You may be thinking of "T0m", though I haven't seen him around much these days.

I am he. And Tm0.

Oh lmao I feel like a jackass considering it's right there in your sig.
(2010-04-06, 12:29 AM)RPicard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:28 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]

I am he. And Tm0.

Oh lmao I feel like a jackass considering it's right there in your sig.

No worries. I've had people claim they were me. No biggie Toungue
(2010-04-05, 05:13 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard of that, but apparently it blocks many honest registrations.

The only people it blocks are people on the stop forum spam database and you can choose to check the IP, email and username but I recommend that you don't check username as this is where the most false positives come from. I also hope to release a new version of the plugin with logging and a few other things this week.
(2010-04-06, 12:36 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]I also hope to release a new version of the plugin with logging and a few other things this week.

I was actually just thinking that I'd feel more comfortable with a log to see how many registrations it was actually blocking. I'll look for the update.
(2010-04-06, 12:36 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-05, 05:13 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard of that, but apparently it blocks many honest registrations.

The only people it blocks are people on the stop forum spam database and you can choose to check the IP, email and username but I recommend that you don't check username as this is where the most false positives come from. I also hope to release a new version of the plugin with logging and a few other things this week.

The only time i've seen it ban someone was Firestar. /troll
(2010-04-06, 12:37 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]The only time i've seen it ban someone was Firestar. /troll

So it DOES work.
(2010-04-06, 12:37 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:36 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]

The only time i've seen it ban someone was Firestar. /troll

Ha ha, he used to be a fairly active member on my site. I don't know what was up with him on ALL other sites though, lol.
He seemed to have some sort of problem where he had no control of himself and HAD to troll. He had sudden urges.

I remember he had his User title set to something like: I'm not a troll any more, etc.
(2010-04-06, 12:18 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]What ever you do, DO NOT USE reCAPTCHA. Works like **** I didn't get registrations for almost a month, just to find out that once I installed reCAPTCHA it gave you random errors when registering.

What I would suggest, add askimet. Works great.

Make sure email verify is turned on.

Use this plugin http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1496.html

Works like a charm. Blocked about 98% of spam users and doesn't annoy real members.

reCAPTCHA does not work for those who can't set it up.
That plugin you pointed out will not prevent anything, any programmer can program a bot to check for the question and give the proper answer.
Akismet will not work (at least from the tests I've made) for websites that have news articles. If someone posts two news articles (usually pretty big) they'll get banned
Pages: 1 2 3 4