MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum spam ><
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I didn't read the whole thread so this might have already been suggested but I found that disabling signatures for new users deters signature spammers.

I currently have all of my forums setup to not allow signatures (via Labrocca's plugin) for the Registered usergroup and then I setup a promotion in MyBB to promote users to an unrestricted usergroup (signature, PMs, e-mail other users, custom user titles, etc...) after 5-10 posts and and at least 24 hours so that if they put out 5-10 spam posts right after registering I can ban them before they have a chance to post a signature still. Wink
You need a tough moderator.
**cough, whistle, points at self**

I am willing to do it. I can spend alot of time a day on your forum. I'm signing up now. If you so wish, give me Mod access, and I will see to it that there is no spam.
(2010-04-06, 02:51 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:18 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]What ever you do, DO NOT USE reCAPTCHA. Works like **** I didn't get registrations for almost a month, just to find out that once I installed reCAPTCHA it gave you random errors when registering.

What I would suggest, add askimet. Works great.

Make sure email verify is turned on.

Use this plugin http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1496.html

Works like a charm. Blocked about 98% of spam users and doesn't annoy real members.

reCAPTCHA does not work for those who can't set it up.
That plugin you pointed out will not prevent anything, any programmer can program a bot to check for the question and give the proper answer.
Akismet will not work (at least from the tests I've made) for websites that have news articles. If someone posts two news articles (usually pretty big) they'll get banned

reCAPTCHA fails. Even my friends couldn't get it to work. Maybe it was just the download that we both tried but we couldn't get it to work.

Akismet does work very well. Because most of the bots (at least the ones that come to my forum) post very stupid annoying posts that hardly have to do with anything. Maybe like a few sentences. It bans them for you and you can always mark the posts as spam so it will prevent posts like that again.

And when I did all those things the bots slowed down a lot. So I'm just saying what worked for me.
(2010-04-06, 04:02 PM)zDawg32 Wrote: [ -> ]You need a tough moderator.
**cough, whistle, points at self**

I am willing to do it. I can spend alot of time a day on your forum. I'm signing up now. If you so wish, give me Mod access, and I will see to it that there is no spam.

If I still get floods after blocking the Philippines, I shall mod you.
**prays for floods** Wink
mod_geoip + .htaccess + whitelist = Smile
(2010-04-06, 09:14 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]mod_geoip + .htaccess + whitelist = Smile

WIN!
(2010-04-06, 04:32 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 02:51 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:18 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]What ever you do, DO NOT USE reCAPTCHA. Works like **** I didn't get registrations for almost a month, just to find out that once I installed reCAPTCHA it gave you random errors when registering.

What I would suggest, add askimet. Works great.

Make sure email verify is turned on.

Use this plugin http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1496.html

Works like a charm. Blocked about 98% of spam users and doesn't annoy real members.

reCAPTCHA does not work for those who can't set it up.
That plugin you pointed out will not prevent anything, any programmer can program a bot to check for the question and give the proper answer.
Akismet will not work (at least from the tests I've made) for websites that have news articles. If someone posts two news articles (usually pretty big) they'll get banned

reCAPTCHA fails. Even my friends couldn't get it to work. Maybe it was just the download that we both tried but we couldn't get it to work.

Akismet does work very well. Because most of the bots (at least the ones that come to my forum) post very stupid annoying posts that hardly have to do with anything. Maybe like a few sentences. It bans them for you and you can always mark the posts as spam so it will prevent posts like that again.

And when I did all those things the bots slowed down a lot. So I'm just saying what worked for me.

Did you try this one:
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/recaptcha-ii
?
Pages: 1 2 3 4