MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Little bit disappointed @ nested tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Nested span tags are valid for XHTML 1.0 and HTML 4.01. But I agree that it's not a good way to do it.

Should be like this:

[color=#343D91]blue [/color][color=#24E026]green[/color][color=#343D91]blue[/color]
Yes, it should be, but it's not what people expect apparently.
If you had to cater to what everyone expected, MyBB would never make a release.
The whole reason this is a problem is because people are too lazy to do it the 'right' way.
Maybe I've just used vB too long and have been spoiled.
vB, phpBB, and SMF (others?) all do it that "wrong" way. And sooo many end users, who are ignorant of web standards for the most part (by end users in this case I refer to forum MEMBERS not Admins) do it that way because the forums have TAUGHT them to do it that way. Besides, this is a SERIOUS issue with mergers from another of those boards, as the tags stay messed up in the posts. And that sucks. This is a worthwhile fix, just because it really helps the forum members who don't know any better.

The optimum solution in my mind (may not be feasible speed/code wise, I admit this is one area where my knowledge of PHP is insufficient) would be to find such nested tags, and un-nest them when a post is created.
(2010-06-20, 02:20 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]The optimum solution in my mind (may not be feasible speed/code wise, I admit this is one area where my knowledge of PHP is insufficient) would be to find such nested tags, and un-nest them when a post is created.

Standards wise that would be the best efficiency wise I'm not so sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4