MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Community suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This isn't a suggestion for mybb, but geared more towards the members of this community. Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place, but didn't know exactly where to put it Toungue

Anyway...my sugestion is this:
There are some great coders around here for both plugins and themes. There are also some not so great (myself included) that know a miniscule amount...barely knowing some of the basics.
I'd like to see someone with knowledge of coding maybe offer an online class (for lack of a better term) in plugin and theme coding for mybb.

I know some of you do not have the time to do this, but if you think about it, this is something that can take place over time. Classes can consist of maybe tips and techniques, basic plugin php stuff, getting info from the database and so on. Maybe even develop a very basic simple plugin as a group assignment.

I know there are forums out there that offer support for different types of coding, but nothing specific to mybb...without having to google half a dozen sites.And there are several sites that offer tutorials, but none that actually show you step by step how to apply certain techniques to actually create or customize a plugin or theme.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. Maybe someone will take this idea and build upon it. I look forward to participating in such a forum if one is created.
This is a great idea! I'd join. Though, I'd prefer it if it were more a forum class, my schedule changes all the time and I wouldn't be able to join a "class"
I believe Zash did an HTML class once.

This would be a great idea if it's set up right. Live Chat would be the best way to accomplish this. People join the chat and then the leader or teacher if you will goes through different things and then the *students* do them. Then they link to where they did it so that the leader can check it out, etc etc.

A Step By Step Interactive Tutorial could accomplish this as well. Have a bunch of steps and then people post screenshots of each step to make sure they are doing them right.
There are a bunch of PHP video tutorials out there as well as text tutorials and PHP coding forums, why would you need someone to teach you when you have access to these resources anywhere you want and whenever you want?
But they are not mybb specific. Mybb has various hooks, classes and so on. I think these are the things people would like help with.
When you aren't use to all these things,reading a php tutorial is like reading another language.But if someone would set us up with the things we need to know for mybb (hooks, database stuff, etc) I think it would be much more beneficial.

For example...Zetaboards has a very accomplished coder that teaches these "classes" for his members. He shows them step by step how to produce codes only for zetaboards. And he is doing quite well with it.

I don't know, maybe everyone don't share the same opinion as I do, but it's my opinion none the less.
I'd be interested in teaching a HTML/CSS class.
and I'd be interested in taking it.
The problem is it's very involving and unless someone can dedicate hours a day towards the project it will most likely die out quickly. I too would be interested in offering my knowledge but it's not something one man can do alone.
Maybe we should clone Ryan's and Tomm's brain? /joke.

I would be interested. Maybe a forum with just a weakly in depth lesson, with 3-4 teachers with a preplan lesson schedule?
I giggled Toungue

I was thinking a solid database of well written tutorials would work too.
Pages: 1 2