MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paid Plugin Policy Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-05-27, 12:37 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking into various models including the Joomla one. No doubt there are changes coming. Just waiting on official mybb policy notification before I make a move.

Joomla and also SMF (if possible) :LOL:
(2010-05-27, 12:37 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking into various models...

(2010-05-26, 08:16 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]I've temporarily closed my website until MyBB officially announces the changes to their policies.
If they force me to end subscriptions...

For some of the bigger plugins:
If the non-gpl code uses an API, like mentioned here, then the code is probably (or suggested to be) fully in compliance with the GPL.
SMF has a license which is not Open Source Initiative license and they are strict about commercial software for SMF.

http://drupal.org/node/220497#comment-737089

Great thread seeker. What's really going to matter is the stance MYBB takes about it's plugin system. Certainly everyone can intrepret but it's MyBB that must actually make decisions about enforcing the license. Even if some believe that plugins are restricted to GPL v3 if MyBB doesn't care then it's not going to matter how it's interpreted.

Really I wish MyBB went with a better OSI license like LGPL or a BSD style license where these things are more clearly defined. You can find a lot of arguments all over the web about GPL v3 and it's impacts. Overall I think it's a really disliked license which mainly confuses people. The BSD license hasn't had to go through versions like GPL.

Even today...
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/category

The GPL v3 is "uncategorized" by OSI.

If MyBB chose one of the ".:: License that are popular and widely used or with strong communities ::." none of this would be an issue.

Apache License, 2.0
New and Simplified BSD licenses
GNU General Public License (GPL)
GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License (LGPL)
MIT license
Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL)
Common Development and Distribution License
Eclipse Public License

My personal fav would be BSD licenses I think. MyBB can be open source licences and still allow paid plugins without these restrictions if it wants. With a new version coming (1.6x) this can be implemented easily.
Ok, so plugins that are not stand alone may be forced to be free from now on? It would be helpful if there was a blog post soon, as I am working on a paid plugin system for 1.6, so clarification would be nice Smile

thanks
I'm closing this, the blog post will be published as soon as it's ready. In the mean time please don't get too worked up about this, almost all the concerns raised here will be addressed in the blog post and I don't think anyone will loose out under our new policies once they have been fully unveiled.
I wanted to give everyone a small update on this as we are still working on finalizing our policy changes and plans over the next few days.

1. The mods site will be free software only
2. We will still allow authors to sell their modifications and choose their own licenses, regardless of GPL-compliance, on their own.

If you are disappointed about the mods site becoming free software only, we encourage you take a look at this video: http://ma.tt/2009/10/matt-qa-wordpress-gpl/ - Wordpress fosters a truly GPL-only modification community, and their mod developers are able to profit by giving valued services for their mods like support, installation services, customizations, etc.

Thanks for your patience,
Ryan
MyBB Group
Nice video and sounds like little will change anywhere other than here on MyBB.
I was wondering about that when I registered here and saw that a lot of plugins were put up at forums where you have to pay to download them. This didn't fit with Mybb which is a truly free software.
I do agree with Labrocca in that the GPL v3 allows too much wiggle room and needs more clarification. However, I also agree that MyBB's plugin system qualifies as an API, and thus plugins shouldn't be affected unless the license says so explicitly. Of course, thats only my opinion.

Now think about things this way...
Subscriber plugins aren't necessarily non-free... you're subscribing for the SUPPORT in most cases. Though, in truth what you're subscribing for in many is also the right to download and install in addition to the support. I'm glad though with the path MyBB is taking. And thanks again for such a wonderful software.
(2010-05-29, 05:15 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree with Labrocca in that the GPL v3 allows too much wiggle room and needs more clarification. However, I also agree that MyBB's plugin system qualifies as an API, and thus plugins shouldn't be affected unless the license says so explicitly. Of course, thats only my opinion.

It doesn't matter if you think the plugin system is an API. Look at the GNU/GPL's definition of how they define if a script is separate or apart of another script. Things like if you globalize and call $mybb (memory objects) come into effect.
Pages: 1 2 3 4