MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paid Plugin Policy Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If you research things a bit more you'll see that under GPLv3 that it would consider $plugin hooking and using the $db or the $mybb class would consider the plugin to be under GPLv3 too. That's the issue at hand. I don't think MyBB ever intended for plugin authors to be breaking license by having some commercial success. So things are just going to have to be carefully considered. I'll go along with any ruling the MyBB team decides on.

Even packaged themes for mybb are considered GPLv3 once you distribute them. GPLv3 is very strict about any commercial use and basically slaps down attempts to monetize work based of any GPLv3 project. For some that's the goal but I'm not in the mood to argue the merits of either case. Just know that if you research. You'll start to understand the predicament.
(2010-05-29, 07:08 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-29, 05:15 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree with Labrocca in that the GPL v3 allows too much wiggle room and needs more clarification. However, I also agree that MyBB's plugin system qualifies as an API, and thus plugins shouldn't be affected unless the license says so explicitly. Of course, thats only my opinion.

It doesn't matter if you think the plugin system is an API. Look at the GNU/GPL's definition of how they define if a script is separate or apart of another script. Things like if you globalize and call $mybb (memory objects) come into effect.

Welcome to the GPL. Any form of linkage between code, such as using an API, automatically makes infects your code with the GPL license too.

Personally, I am not a fan of the GPL license, it's a horrible viral license that takes away personal freedom. As a developer I prefer more open licenses since they are both easier to understand and easier to enforce; I use the MIT license for my own code.

Although I know this isn't strictly the same industry, you might be interested in reading the reasons why OGRE changed from using the LGPL to the MIT license for version 1.7.

Thinking about it more, you probably went with the GPL because you didn't want people to re-badge and sell MyBB, however you were either unaware or just naive to the consequences this would have to code that linked to MyBB (such as plugins). Really it would be nice if there was a version of the GPL that wasn't viral, and that's what the LGPL and the GPL class path exception are for, however they don't seem to apply to PHP since you can't use dynamic linking, and aren't building an executable.
I actually like the Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL) for MyBB. As for ethe LGPL which it sounds like the MyBB team is considering...there are at least better positions for it's usage. I was really bothered when I found out that even themes built for MyBB have to GPLv3.

http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html

From what I read on the MPL license it basically only requires that the license be included and that the source code is open (not encrypted). I don't see any restrictions on commercial use. To me that's a truly free open source license. The point of open source initially wasn't to be free but to be editable by the community and the user of the software.

GPLv3 has gone in a very strict interpretation of "free". Again I'm not arguing the merits of their position only stating how it appears to be.
This is one reason why I'm not going to be using any id Tech 3-based engine for any games I might make. GPL always gets in the way of what you can do with code. BSD is actually better if someone in their right mind would realise that. It doesn't limit you to keeping it $0, plus you can link BSD-licensed code to proprietary code and vice-versa without the viral GPL effect happening.
(2010-05-29, 07:35 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't limit you to keeping it $0

Um. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
(2010-05-29, 08:39 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-29, 07:35 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't limit you to keeping it $0

Um. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

http://pthree.org/2007/08/08/bsd-license...man-terms/

I think he was talking about BSD.
It doesn't stop you from charging but it stops any legal protections you have to make the code proprietary. What's the point if anyone can just warez it? Legally we couldn't even send a C&D or a DMCA notice.
Hello everyone,
as usually I don't visit mybb.com too often so I was not aware of these movements.
No publication of paid plugins here will cause a lack of customers for all paid plugin sites which is a serious problem we'll have to face.
I'd suggest, if you want to have it somewhat dynamically, to create a new subforum somewhere or allow us to post to the market place (Requests/Offers section).

(2010-05-26, 08:44 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to make this committment. If indeed you eradicate all paid plugins and decide they are against the license then I'm going to release all my work GPL. Future work will probably be greatly effected but my existing work would be released. I'm just unlikely to spend hours making something and releasing it. I'd keep my new work for myself for my own sites.
If I have to, I will also release my current plugins under GPL of course but that'd also mean the following to me:
- shut down of MybbAddons.com, MybbDesign.com, Mybboard.biz and all other MyBB related sites I do have
- no further public plugin releases too

At the moment all of my plugins and themes are licensed under a strict "sharing forbidden" license, they are exclusively available at my sites.
If that is no longer given, there is no point for keeping up sites that consum bandwith and bring no income as every subscriber can just post the plugin code here.

I really hoped that we'd get a step forward with 1.6 but instead I feel that we are moving backwards.

I also wonder why we all have to wait so often for official announcements - there was no guide for plugin devs about changing hooks and other new stuff in 1.6 and now rules for release forum changed without an official announcement aswell.
Would it be so hard to inform the 5,6 developers of upcoming changes?
You know me, you know Labrocca and Pirata Nervo, as you know exdiogene and the most theme devs.
One group PM or mail would've been great, this is not the first time and nobody can work and plan for the future if things are going crazy within one day.

Waiting for an official announcement from MyBB site, stopped all current releases.
This came about imho because they prematurely created a restriction in the plugin release area about paid plugins. I don't think they were prepared for the questions that arose from it.

Quote:If I have to, I will also release my current plugins under GPL of course but that'd also mean the following to me:
- shut down of MybbAddons.com, MybbDesign.com, Mybboard.biz and all other MyBB related sites I do have
- no further public plugin releases too

I don't think that's going to happen. From what the team saying they don't want to impose these style of restrictions but realistically the GPLv3 license MyBB is currently under present a real problem for authors. In turn I think it makes MyBB look bad in the open source communtiy they are not enforcing license. Apparently they are considering LGPL for 1.6x which current authors and plugins could operate under without changes.

Quote:No publication of paid plugins here will cause a lack of customers for all paid plugin sites which is a serious problem we'll have to face.

Maybe. But they've posted you can still advertise in your sig, showcase forums, and the services area. I think just in sigs is more than enough. If you're actively helping people here (which you should be) then people will know you, see your sig, and visit your site. What they don't want is releases in mods area or the mods forums for paid plugins. To me that's a very acceptable change and very appropriate imho.

Quote:I really hoped that we'd get a step forward with 1.6 but instead I feel that we are moving backwards.

Arguable and I don't agree. I think MyBB is finally taking a more official stance on paid plugins. Not really against them but certainly trying to make it clear what is and is not allowed here.
(2010-05-30, 08:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]This came about imho because they prematurely created a restriction in the plugin release area about paid plugins. I don't think they were prepared for the questions that arose from it.
They should probably inform us about such a restriction, I'd even sign up for a newsletter...

(2010-05-30, 08:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]From what the team saying they don't want to impose these style of restrictions but realistically the GPLv3 license MyBB is currently under present a real problem for authors. In turn I think it makes MyBB look bad in the open source communtiy they are not enforcing license. Apparently they are considering LGPL for 1.6x which current authors and plugins could operate under without changes.
I won't operate on some half-legal basis or on a basis where I have to fear that my own work can be forced to be redistributed for free.
I need security and safety for my sites, that's why I choose a hoster with 99.9% uptime and work together with professional partners like youtube or google adsense.
Building and managing a site, keeping it online and everything is quite time-consuming and also requires money. If a xxxx$ site might be worthless next day I won't buy it.

(2010-05-30, 08:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe. But they've posted you can still advertise in your sig, showcase forums, and the services area. ... To me that's a very acceptable change and very appropriate imho.
I agree, if we can still present them it'll probably be okay however without a real forum we'll probably have a mess.
By the way, all reccource site links at the MyBB download are gone without notice... wonder why.

(2010-05-30, 08:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I really hoped that we'd get a step forward with 1.6 but instead I feel that we are moving backwards.

Arguable and I don't agree. I think MyBB is finally taking a more official stance on paid plugins. Not really against them but certainly trying to make it clear what is and is not allowed here.
Yes but the lack of information and some sudden and weird changes and actions are quite disturbing.

Kind regards
Lennart Sauter
Pages: 1 2 3 4