MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I want to install Ubuntu tomorrow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I couldn't get it online. No connection.

Wireless router. I tried adding it, but it didn't work.

And where can I find a Wubi install for 9.10?
(2010-06-23, 02:03 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I couldn't get it online. No connection.

Wireless router. I tried adding it, but it didn't work.

And where can I find a Wubi install for 9.10?

I disagree with tommy. I would use Lucid Lynx.
(2010-06-22, 11:44 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I need to backup a few things first, like all my TV shows, music and images. Which is the part that will take the most time. Either way, I will install it as a month trial. If I don't like it, I'll go back to Windows.

But I have to ask you guys one thing. What's the best way to run games on Linux?

games don't run that well on linux... but that doesn't mean there are no games on linux. It's just less powerful than the windows platform.
(2010-06-23, 01:03 AM)Vampyrean Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a little tip. As amazing as Wine is, if you use your computer to play graphically intensive games, I suggest sticking with Windows. For a lifelong Windows users, it is a learning curve for you to move onto a Linux distribution. I'm all for it, but you have to understand that things may not work right away or at all on Linux.

true you shouldn't use wine to run ram intensive games.
So the good options are: virtual box and dualboot.

Which one is best for me?
Virtualbox is the limited way out. You can't use Direct3D and sharing folders is a pain, as well as device connectivity and all that, but that said if you only want a basic Linux system you can use it without issue, and if you completely screw it up, no harm done, but you do need a native install to realise the full potential of any operating system.

If you have dual monitors though, Virtualbox is sweet as cause you can run one OS on each monitor, which just looks awesome.
(2010-06-23, 02:33 PM)Tweep Cat Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree with tommy. I would use Lucid Lynx.

Use 10.04 if you want unstable booting for W7. W7 simply won't boot 9 times out of ten. As we'll as loads of errors when installing packages ....
(2010-06-23, 03:14 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-23, 02:33 PM)Tweep Cat Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree with tommy. I would use Lucid Lynx.

Use 10.04 if you want unstable booting for W7. W7 simply won't boot 9 times out of ten. As we'll as loads of errors when installing packages ....

And where did he say he was using Windows 7 on this specific pc? Toungue
He didn't but I was stating that. Tweep said he disagreed, thus I was disagreeing with his disagreement :p
Faviouz, how many cores/ram do you have? I've found on my computer with 4gb of ram and 2 cores, its amazing. Yet on my everyday single core (3ghz still) with 1.5gb of ram, its not even worth trying.

Dual boot is the best option. Don't use WUBI, use the graphical install on the Live CD. If you need the 9.04 torrent i can send it to you, I seed it Toungue.

If your worried about paritions now, reparition your windows drive now. Leave at least 20-40 gigs if you plan to use everyday (assuming your drive is at last 100+GB) Make a swap partition of about half your ram. (If you have 1gb ram, make a swap of 512mb) That helps if you ever need extra ram. A smart idea is a 10 gb NTFS file parition, to transfer files between windows and linux, without messing anything up.

If you need any help, add me on msn. (In profile)
I am now on Linux ubuntu.

Learning how to use WineHQ to install MSN and such.

I prefer LInux 1000x mo0re than WIndows, its so much more user-friendly and smooth, faster, easier to use and overall cool and different Big Grin.
Pages: 1 2 3