MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about my purchase...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2010-06-25, 04:04 AM)Spyda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 03:51 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]I also have a dire hatred for Dell. Every Dell I've seen has maxed out at 5 years of life, then it just dies a slow, painful death.

5 years is pretty long imho. Plus, technology is moving so fast that in half that time there will be something that's just as good as what you have. But that's just me... I usually buy a new laptop ever 2 1/2 years.

I shouldn't have to buy a new one every 2 and a half years, or even every five years.

It's not top of the line, but it still works, and can still be upgraded if I need too. This PC is roughly 7 or 8 years old, and still running strong unlike the three Dells I've dealt with on a regular basis in the same time frame, one of which I managed to save while the other two are in pieces waiting to be used for spare parts.
I try to get a new laptop every year since I no longer have a desktop to upgrade every 6 months. That being said, I've had my netbook for over 2 years (OMG!) and the only reason I am considering buying a new one is because the VIA hardware is not supported by any major Linux distros and the battery life is only 3 hours now. Sad
(2010-06-25, 04:09 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 04:04 AM)Spyda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 03:51 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]I also have a dire hatred for Dell. Every Dell I've seen has maxed out at 5 years of life, then it just dies a slow, painful death.

5 years is pretty long imho. Plus, technology is moving so fast that in half that time there will be something that's just as good as what you have. But that's just me... I usually buy a new laptop ever 2 1/2 years.

I shouldn't have to buy a new one every 2 and a half years, or even every five years.

It's not top of the line, but it still works, and can still be upgraded if I need too. This PC is roughly 7 or 8 years old, and still running strong unlike the three Dells I've dealt with on a regular basis in the same time frame, one of which I managed to save while the other two are in pieces waiting to be used for spare parts.

Good for you then! No, but seriously, it's great that you're able to stick with your PC for that long. Maybe it's just me, but I'm unable to stick to one piece of equipment for extended periods. There's always going to be something a little bit better and I'm always wanting to get my hands on that.
How am I gonna break this to my pop? He is a computer tech. and is obsessed with dell...

Also can you guys hit me with a couple links (if you don't mind), that would be great to compare Smile
(2010-06-25, 04:35 AM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]How am I gonna break this to my pop? He is a computer tech. and is obsessed with dell...

Also can you guys hit me with a couple links (if you don't mind), that would be great to compare Smile

Just because people on MyBB had bad experiences will dell, doesn't mean you will. I know a lot of people, including my father, who only buy Dell Smile
There is nothing wrong with Dell laptops/desktops until you need support (which based on experience you will need their support and usually within the first year). If you don't mind spending money then you can probably deal with somebody locally easier.
(2010-06-25, 03:36 AM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Is this laptop good enough? I need it for gaming on Counter Strike: Source and Modern Warfare 2. I also need it for having minimum 4 programs running (AIM, MSN, Photoshop, Firefox, etc.) without ANY sort of lag when I switch between them.

Thanks in advance, I am not familiar with all this computer reference so all feedback would be great before I purchase it Smile

It's a Dell. No. Buy one of the new macbooks, put 6gb of RAM in it and dual-boot OSX and Win7. You will get better performance on gaming than any other overly priced gaming PC. Plus the benefit of the macbook being cased in steel, so you won't break the thing.
(2010-06-25, 06:43 AM)Vampyrean Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 03:36 AM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Is this laptop good enough? I need it for gaming on Counter Strike: Source and Modern Warfare 2. I also need it for having minimum 4 programs running (AIM, MSN, Photoshop, Firefox, etc.) without ANY sort of lag when I switch between them.

Thanks in advance, I am not familiar with all this computer reference so all feedback would be great before I purchase it Smile

It's a Dell. No. Buy one of the new macbooks, put 6gb of RAM in it and dual-boot OSX and Win7. You will get better performance on gaming than any other overly priced gaming PC. Plus the benefit of the macbook being cased in steel, so you won't break the thing.

You can't use "overly priced... PC" and "macbook" in the same sentence. It invalidates your argument. LoL!
It sucks. Get one with a real graphics card and 4GB RAM.

I HIGHLY recommend this for your budget: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shoppi...zse_series
Pages: 1 2 3