MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Facebook Bulletin Board :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-06-26, 07:28 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 07:07 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]You mean kids that don't have money and start forums that die after a month. Professional businesses and real forums make and have the money to afford IPB or vB.

So MyBB forums aren't real forums? Undecided
No I have seen hundreds of vB and IPB forums that aren't real. With real forums I mean a forum that is organized, has a nice niche, good design, good management aka a future.

(2010-06-26, 07:40 PM)Tweep Cat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 07:07 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 06:44 PM)Winford F. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 06:41 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather just use IPB if I wanted all that extra jazz.

But most people aren't going to spend that much money on a forum.
You mean kids that don't have money and start forums that die after a month. Professional businesses and real forums make and have the money to afford IPB or vB.

That's the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time. If you are providing support for a forum software that "kids that don't have money uses and then their forums die within a month" I would consider getting a life. Mybb is as good in many ways as the paid alternatives. I appreciate that maybe some people prefer different scripts and I am in no way slagging any others off, but that is a pretty stupid comment coming from a member of staff on this forum. You are basically telling us that to have a real forum we need to use better software. Clever. Very clever.
Sorry to ruin your dreams but MyBB 1.4 can't be compared with vB 4.0 or IPB 3.0 but MyBB 2.0 will change that Heart. I never said that if you want a real forum you need other software but if you look at the facts you usually see professional forums that spend a make a lot of money with their forum are with either vB or IPB because those are the popular scripts and they are paid.

Business go with vB or IPB because:

A) They are well known
B) It would look more professional
D) Paid Support
C) Paid software

Usually people expect paid software to be better than free and that's proven and proven over again. You can't compare GIMP with Photoshop or Linux with Windows. I have seen ton of quality forums that use MyBB that cost hundreds of dollars to maintain such as HackForums, that's a real forum but not some noob forum that is setup within 24 hours with a free theme and some crap.

(2010-06-26, 08:09 PM)Winford F. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 07:07 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 06:44 PM)Winford F. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 06:41 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather just use IPB if I wanted all that extra jazz.

But most people aren't going to spend that much money on a forum.
You mean kids that don't have money and start forums that die after a month. Professional businesses and real forums make and have the money to afford IPB or vB.

If you can save $160 a year why not put it toward other things?
Other things? You mean as advertisement, designs, hosting, scripts, software for your forums? Big forums require hundreds of dollars per month to run. I don't think you are getting the full image of running a forum with millions of posts.
You are trying to say vb and ipb is better than mybb? Windows better than Linux? Okay Photoshop > GIMP, but still.

I can't be bothered to argue this one out. I will just repeat this quote, and you will hopefully realise how stupid it is:

Quote:You mean kids that don't have money and start forums that die after a month. Professional businesses and real forums make and have the money to afford IPB or vB.
(2010-06-26, 09:38 PM)Tweep Cat Wrote: [ -> ]You are trying to say vb and ipb is better than mybb? Windows better than Linux? Okay Photoshop > GIMP, but still.

I can't be bothered to argue this one out. I will just repeat this quote, and you will hopefully realise how stupid it is:

Quote:You mean kids that don't have money and start forums that die after a month. Professional businesses and real forums make and have the money to afford IPB or vB.
I never said that professional and real forums use IPB or vB. I just stated they have the money to effort IPB or vB.

I said to afford I never said use.
Isn't this thread supposed to be locked because there's discussion about which software is better =O
(2010-06-26, 08:38 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to ruin your dreams but MyBB 1.4 can't be compared with vB 4.0 or IPB 3.0

It's more than a little disappointing to see this sort of comment from a staff member.
(2010-06-26, 11:44 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't this thread supposed to be locked because there's discussion about which software is better =O
No because we aren't bashing and software. We are exactly having a discussion.

(2010-06-26, 11:52 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 08:38 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to ruin your dreams but MyBB 1.4 can't be compared with vB 4.0 or IPB 3.0

It's more than a little disappointing to see this sort of comment from a staff member.
So because I am staff at MyBB I can't express my opinions and I should lie? My opinions should not be tied to my rank, only my actions. In my opinion MyBB 1.4 can't be compared with vB 4.0 or IPB 3.0 but MyBB 2.0 will be able to compete with them.
(2010-06-27, 12:05 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]So because I am staff at MyBB I can't express my opinions and I should lie?

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Rolleyes
(2010-06-26, 11:52 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]

No, he's right. I like MyBB because it's "just a forum", it's simple. It's really easy to modify and theme.

IPB on the other hand, is a feature-packed community suite with social network features like Facebook and Twitter connect, status updates, built-in stuff like a sidebar and keyword-friendly URLs. It just has so many features its unbelievable. If you're looking for an out-of-the-box, complete community suite, IPB is going to blow MyBB out of the water.

If you just want a basic forum without all the social, seo, publishing, and overwhelming checkboxes, MyBB is the clear winner there.

EDIT: Using "on the other hand" twice looked stupid.
(2010-06-27, 12:52 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]If you just want a basic forum without all the social, seo, publishing, and overwhelming checkboxes, MyBB is the clear winner there.
Not if you like at stability, core, community, professional, and support. Business don't care if it's better or not, they want the professional paid software.
(2010-06-27, 01:28 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-27, 12:52 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]If you just want a basic forum without all the social, seo, publishing, and overwhelming checkboxes, MyBB is the clear winner there.
Not if you like at stability, core, community, professional, and support. Business don't care if it's better or not, they want the professional paid software.

Of course IPB/vB support is better, they're getting paid.

"Stability" is arguable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4