MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it a bad idea to change nameservers on the weekend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It seems like the site that I moved on Friday is taking longer to swap over than one I moved during the work week.
Are there people that have to do something for that to happen, or is it automated? Should I have waited for a weekday?

The one I just moved seemed to swap pretty quickly, but now it is back to the old one. I am back to waiting... Sad Is that normal?
It actually is normal. I just switched servers for one of my other graphic forums (gra-fix.net) and it kept reverting to the old server. Took 48 hours before it finally adjusted itself. You just gotta be patient, that's the best advice I can give ya Smile
Usually takes 5 minutes - 1 hours for me. Not sure where you guys live Toungue.
Just make sure to close the board or site and put a notice saying 'If you see this, this is the old site Toungue"
Do you flush your IP after 5 minutes?
(2010-07-04, 03:17 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Usually takes 5 minutes - 1 hours for me. Not sure where you guys live Toungue.

This does not apply for each registrar

Usually, a registrar will update records once or twice every 24 hours. However, pointing your domain to the NEW DNS servers, can even take up to 72hrs.
(2010-07-04, 03:26 AM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-04, 03:17 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Usually takes 5 minutes - 1 hours for me. Not sure where you guys live Toungue.

This does not apply for each registrar

Usually, a registrar will update records once or twice every 24 hours. However, pointing your domain to the NEW DNS servers, can even take up to 72hrs.
Wow I have never experienced that, I always thought that they just say that so that people can't sue/complain. Longest in my memory as been maybe 2-3 hours?
I have yet to have one take more than 24 hours before now. That's why I asked what is typical.

(2010-07-04, 03:18 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]Just make sure to close the board or site and put a notice saying 'If you see this, this is the old site Toungue"
That is good advice. I learned that lesson early on. :p

(2010-07-04, 03:25 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Do you flush your IP after 5 minutes?

I flushed the dns and my Temorary Internet Files on IE7 a few times today. I am about to do it again.
Nope. Still the old one. Sad
(2010-07-04, 03:46 AM)Reserector Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-04, 03:25 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Do you flush your IP after 5 minutes?

I flushed the dns and my Temorary Internet Files on IE7 a few times today. I am about to do it again.
Nope. Still the old one. Sad
IE7...mmm.
What's wrong with IE7? Seems to work fine. Care to enlighten me?
Pages: 1 2