MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Free Whois protection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Use fake info dummie! Rolleyes

I don't get it. Why do people buy whois protection? You can just write up some fake stuff and you're ready to go.
By law doesn't it have to be accurate?
I seriously hope not. Shy
I'm quite sure the details have to be correct incase of lawsuits
Yes, I believe you HAVE to provide correct information, otherwise, you're at risk of losing your domain should they find out.
Fake info in domain whois means anyone who can prove that the info is fake (easy enough to accomplish) can take over your domain just like that - at least that's how it works for .DE domains, I assume other registrars have similar rules. At the same time you may be breaking the law by providing false information in a contract.

Whois protection is usually also not an option because it means handing legal ownership of a domain over to some third party (who will then appear in the whois in your place). If that third party goes bankrupt, good luck getting back your domains.
It depends, I get free WHOIS Protection with my .ca domain. CIRA provides it for free.
o_o my domain seller (who is a reseller) haves me the offer to hide that data
anyway my home address is "OMG LOL WTF BBQ"

and nobody told me anything
hehe
(2010-07-09, 11:52 AM)Lithium Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I believe you HAVE to provide correct information, otherwise, you're at risk of losing your domain should they find out.

This.
Most registrars I've dealt with (New Dream, Name, NameCheap) provide it for free. You're all just used to GoDaddy's crap.
Pages: 1 2 3