MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Messages - Should we read them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've set up mybb locally on my computer here before I go ahead and incorporate it into my own website. I'm mulling over a dilemma about this private messaging lark - should I or shouldn't I use this Private Messaging Mod? Undecided

http://mods.mybb.com/view/private-messag...ned-for-14

Now, I can understand using this for security purposes if there's some oddball on your forums stalking/harassing someone or just general PM spamming activities going on, but is it just being nosey? Afterall it really is "private" messaging... Confused

From a legal point of view should you declare it in your disclaimer that you are indeed archiving PM's or indeed have the ability to read through all of the member's PM's?

I'm really torn with this issue, so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Hazel
It is a kind of controversial topic. My belief is that you should have no reason to install it unless you have reason to believe that something inappropriate is occurring via the personal message (abuse, spam, etc).

I think that in the case of private message spamming, if a few members can confirm that somebody is spamming them and they forward you the messages, that's good enough to ban them.

The only real reason I can see myself installing the mod is if I get a legal complaint about something occurring via Private Message - in that case, I can technically still just see the PMs via the MySQL database (this mod just makes it easier to see).

(2010-07-29, 11:21 AM)hazelstutorials Wrote: [ -> ]From a legal point of view should you declare it in your disclaimer that you are indeed archiving PM's or indeed have the ability to read through all of the member's PM's?

Yes, you would.

Of course, to help reduce the controversies, a common method by some forums is to change the "Private Message" system to the "Personal Message" system. It's the same thing technically, but it just conveys less privacy, which could be what you want.
Hi Zash,

Thanks for your response Smile Some sound advice there! This is the kind of fresh take I was looking for. I really like the angle of the "personal" message system rather than private, I never thought about the mysql, how silly of me!

I personally don't want to be perceived as snooping through messages I shouldn't be reading, my whole stance is basically around member protection and looking out for them really, that's my priority.

Even if I don't install that plug-in, I guess I should really state that I do have the ability to monitor PM's but that it will only come into affect if there are some inappropriate activities ocurring within the forums itself?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, appreciate it Smile
If you want to read PM's then you can use phpMyAdmin to read them. Mention that PM's are only ever read if there is a dispute or issue happening over the PM system. Otherwise, you have no real reason to read them, unless you are just nosey :p
I agree 100% with Zach.
Sure why not. Its only borderline line illegal, and only in some countries will end you up in court.
(2010-07-29, 01:46 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Sure why not. Its only borderline line illegal, and only in some countries will end you up in court.

It's not illegal if you clearly state it and don't make any assurance that a private message is actually private.
Interesting thoughts, thanks alot guys - I'm not going to use the plug-in but I'm writing up my disclaimer now so I'll include the PM declaration just to keep things on the level Smile
From an admins point of view you should never lock youself out of things that prevent issues. It is best to allow yourself to read them even if 999 times out of 1000 you wont Smile

Otherwise, if you have no way of policing PMs then you shouldnt bother with them at all Wink
Ok, now I'm confused...thanks Confused

I'll have to go away and think about this one before I go any further with it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5