MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sign In with Facebook or Twitter, and other software.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I've seen this in other community software, but it would be great to have these included with MyBB. If others don't have the need for it, why not have an option to disable it?

And also, it would be nice for users who have signed in with either service to be able to share the content with their followers or friends.

It'd also be nice to be able to connect to other software, such as an installation of MediaWiki I have on my site.

I also know there are plugins for some of them, but it be nice to not have the potential of disaster.

Wink
Um.... potential of disaster? Mybb's plugin system rarely has those. It's very advanced and easy. :p

I personally find this suitable more as a plugin.
There is a MyTweets plugin by Labrocca that will pull your tweets into your profile and put a link to your Twitter account in the postbit.

I have released ThreadTweet that will post threads and announcements to your Twitter account. I was working on Thread2Facebook to do the same with Facebook.

However, I will be closing the Threadtweet plugin and not releasing Thread2Facebook as I have just finished MyPublisher, which will publish new threads or threads moved into specific forums as well as announcements from forums that have Guest access to Twitter and/or Facebook.

If you want users to be able to integrate their own content (like a status from their profile page) with Twitter and Facebook, there are a couple apps in development, but all appear to have stalled. I will be looking into a few options myself, they will be minor mods for now, but only if I can get them working/doing what I want.
(2010-08-06, 07:05 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Um.... potential of disaster? Mybb's plugin system rarely has those. It's very advanced and easy. :p

Yes, but a few plugins require doing some careful adjustments.
(2010-08-06, 07:10 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]There is a MyTweets plugin by Labrocca that will pull your tweets into your profile and put a link to your Twitter account in the postbit.

I have released ThreadTweet that will post threads and announcements to your Twitter account. I was working on Thread2Facebook to do the same with Facebook.

However, I will be closing the Threadtweet plugin and not releasing Thread2Facebook as I have just finished MyPublisher, which will publish new threads or threads moved into specific forums as well as announcements from forums that have Guest access to Twitter and/or Facebook.

If you want users to be able to integrate their own content (like a status from their profile page) with Twitter and Facebook, there are a couple apps in development, but all appear to have stalled. I will be looking into a few options myself, they will be minor mods for now, but only if I can get them working/doing what I want.
I have already one thing like that, but I was thinking of a "Share this post", so users can share these themselves.

Not that I like saying this, but IPB and vB have this.
You want a logged in Twitter/Facebook user to be able to auto sign into MyBB, or the other way around?

Do you just want MyBB to be able to access the users Twitter/Facebook? To read and/or post to those services?

A user could log in via Facebook or Twitter, and share content they wish to share as well.
Share their Facebook/Twitter content to the MyBB forums or their MyBB profile?

Sorry I am not understanding what you are asking. If you can give a step-by-step of the user actions and expected results, that would help me understand and determine if that work flow is possible and secure.
(2010-08-06, 07:19 PM)TeamBlast Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-06, 07:05 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Um.... potential of disaster? Mybb's plugin system rarely has those. It's very advanced and easy. :p

Yes, but a few plugins require doing some careful adjustments.
(2010-08-06, 07:10 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]There is a MyTweets plugin by Labrocca that will pull your tweets into your profile and put a link to your Twitter account in the postbit.

I have already one thing like that, but I was thinking of a "Share this post", so users can share these themselves.

Not that I like saying this, but IPB and vB have this.

I hate to tell you this, but we are not ipb or vb. We are mybb. And this as a plugin would not take any "careful" adjustments. It would merely take adding the facebook connect icon to the theme and a plugin file. :p

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/web

Mybb is a forum script. Not a child of facebook. It's purpose should be to handle it's own users. Not other sites that will most likely end up dying in a few years because they get boring.

Did I say it was focused on Facebook? No. I'm saying it would be nice to have these features.

Also, it's a comparison. I know MyBB is unlike IPB or vB due to being an amazing competitor that is free.

But why should Facebook and Twitter Connect built into MyBB be frowned upon? It would help people who use the site be able to spread word of the community, and allow new members to do so as well.

I also forgot about OpenID, that'd be nice too.
(2010-08-07, 01:59 AM)TeamBlast Wrote: [ -> ]But why should Facebook and Twitter Connect built into MyBB be frowned upon? It would help people who use the site be able to spread word of the community, and allow new members to do so as well.

I agree, I believe it's something that could benefit 99% of MyBB forums.

You can integrate social sharing buttons fairly easily btw.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6