MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wish I hadnt upgraded!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Trying to go from 1.2.14 to 1.6 proved a nightmare. While I have my old database backed up, I was asked to try the merge option, big mistake. Merge in 1.6 only merges 1.4 or higher. I just decided with little traffic at those forums to take it down for good, not really worth the hassle anymore.

I am now very scared of trying to upgrade my other 1.2.14 forums and what issues they might have. I may try another one tonight and see what happens though. I know that Chris Ryan and the guys really put their heart into this, but it is scary that the merge 1.6 cannot merge a 1.2 db into the new 1.6 setup. That might have saved my other forums.
I think that you first have to upgrade to mybb14 and after that you upgrade to mybb16

grtz

erigo19
(2010-08-08, 05:13 AM)slickdude Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to go from 1.2.14 to 1.6 proved a nightmare. While I have my old database backed up, I was asked to try the merge option, big mistake. Merge in 1.6 only merges 1.4 or higher. I just decided with little traffic at those forums to take it down for good, not really worth the hassle anymore.

I am now very scared of trying to upgrade my other 1.2.14 forums and what issues they might have. I may try another one tonight and see what happens though. I know that Chris Ryan and the guys really put their heart into this, but it is scary that the merge 1.6 cannot merge a 1.2 db into the new 1.6 setup. That might have saved my other forums.

Backup your entire forum directory to your pc before attempting an upgrade, if anything goes wrong, just delete and reupload your backup
(2010-08-08, 05:31 AM)erigo19 Wrote: [ -> ]I think that you first have to upgrade to mybb14 and after that you upgrade to mybb16

grtz

erigo19

agreed
You know, I messed up, didn't backup that directory, but did backup the db.

I have successfully though upgraded three other forums tonight. Only thing was had to ftp my custom logo and icons and seems to work now except that in the smiley box on the left when posting a new message it seems the box extends to the right under the text box you type the messages in. Not sure what to do on that.

As for the zeeked forums, I may try and install 1.2 again upload the old database and try to upgrade install it. I had been under the impression that mainly the config and settings files were the only back ups required for that other forum folder. Anyhow I am entertaining ideas on this all on how to restore that. Ryan mentioned that the database had been missing a field. I forgot, but if I were to go into phpadmin and try adding that field to a restored database if that would work. Any ideas on this?
(2010-08-08, 12:45 AM)Mach1 Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 killed all my plugins from the previous version. now in plugins section I get blank pages.

Kinda irresponsible of you to upgrade without testing your plugins worked.

I have had no problems running MyBB 1.6 on any forums I admin.
All my plugins works perfect with mybb16, the only thing you have to do is to modify the plugin. Download the plugin and change the compability from 14 to 16 and the most plugins works.

grtz

erigo19
(2010-08-08, 12:38 AM)Mach1 Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly I don't believe it was ready for release
We would appreciate it if you could either post all the problems you have encountered or log them on the issue tracker. There really aren't that many major outstanding issues (22 at the current count, most are fairly minor) so if you really have encountered bugs then we might not yet be aware of them.

(2010-08-08, 12:38 AM)Mach1 Wrote: [ -> ]What I have noticed is the unbelievable amount of spam I'm suddenly receiving, on the average of about 100 bogus accounts a day for the last three days.
I don't see how this could be related to MyBB, all the same anti-spam features are still in place. Have you still got it set to require CAPTCHA and email verification? Also, is it possible that an anti-spam plugin might have been stopping the spam on 1.4?

(2010-08-08, 12:38 AM)Mach1 Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 killed all my plugins from the previous version. now in plugins section I get blank pages.

* Plugin Updates
* Browse Plugins
Which plugins are you having problems with? All you need to do is change the version compatibility field in the plugin file to make them 1.6 compatible for the majority of plugins.

(2010-08-08, 12:38 AM)Mach1 Wrote: [ -> ]Also seems to have lost images from members attachments
You obviously deleted the contents of your uploads folder when you overwrote the files. This isn't our fault, and you should have taken a file backup just in case something like this happened.

I had a problem with upgrading, a real bad problem due to me forgetting to de-activate one plugin. If you took a backup, you could use that to go back to 1.4.xx
(2010-08-08, 12:38 AM)Mach1 Wrote: [ -> ]What I have noticed is the unbelievable amount of spam I'm suddenly receiving, on the average of about 100 bogus accounts a day for the last three days. Prior to 1.6 I was getting maybe 4-5.

Absolutely nothing has changed that would suddenly mean you'd get flooded with spam.

If you wanted your plugins, why didn't you check they were updated first?? As I've said to other people who have complained their plugins don't work, it was made perfectly clear they'd need to be updated, we said to plan your upgrade, if people jump into it and then realise they've got no plugins, it's not our fault as you freely chose to upgrade, after we said plugns and themes would need updating. The update was perfectly fit for release, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it, not having any plugins doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the release.

Plus downgrading isn't supposed to be 'easy', no software I've ever used provides ways to downgrade.
Pages: 1 2 3