MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Difference between SMF and MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi!
Currently in my site i use SMF 1.1.11 but for many reasons i will try to migrate to MyBB.
Only some little idea to improve (IMHO) MyBB:
Possibility to rename portal.php to index.php (portal in homepage) and to rename index.php (forum index) in forum.php (index.php=portal | forum.php=forum).
Optimize portal.php (currently don't permit great customization like: topics order; post cut <!--more-->; avatar option (yes or not) ecc...
Possibility to "promote a topic in homepage" (if an user create a new "good" topic in a forum currently i can't promote in homepage).
Possibility to change avatar and attachments directory (with smf is possible to change and separation).
For now that is all Smile
Really compliments for this great script Wink
Kind regards, DarkWolf
Most of that is possible in MyBB with plugins and/or some file editing. Smile
(2010-08-12, 10:23 PM)Dark-Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!
Currently in my site i use SMF 1.1.11 but for many reasons i will try to migrate to MyBB.
Which is of a course a great idea Wink

Quote:Only some little idea to improve (IMHO) MyBB:
Going in order for ya Wink

Quote:Possibility to rename portal.php to index.php (portal in homepage) and to rename index.php (forum index) in forum.php (index.php=portal | forum.php=forum).
Already can do this yourself. MyBB allows for renaming of the files.

[quoteOptimize portal.php (currently don't permit great customization like: topics order; post cut <!--more-->; avatar option (yes or not) ecc...[/quote]
You can control what is displayed in your Admin CP settings area for the Portal Options.

Quote:Possibility to "promote a topic in homepage" (if an user create a new "good" topic in a forum currently i can't promote in homepage).
Not exactly sure what you mean here, as in on the portal? You can give them kudos with the Thread Rating System, check it out.

Quote:Possibility to change avatar and attachments directory (with smf is possible to change and separation).
This is possible with a plugin, however... why? Since the avatars are just a subfolder of the attachments they ARE separated already.

Quote:For now that is all Smile
Really compliments for this great script Wink
Kind regards, DarkWolf

I'm sure the Dev's appreciate this a lot Big Grin
@AJS: Except for avatar and attachments, all of this, also with smf, required mod (plugin) and/or code customization Smile
But smf don't provide a portal (i have thanks to a mod).
MyBB instead provide a portal but, in my opinion, is really limited.
--

(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Which is of a course a great idea Wink
I think so too Big Grin
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Going in order for ya Wink
Thanks Smile
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Already can do this yourself. MyBB allows for renaming of the files.
Very good, i'll try to search more info about this Wink
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]You can control what is displayed in your Admin CP settings area for the Portal Options.
Yes but i can't select a personal order and i can't choice to print only a limited numbers of chars instead to print entire post.
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Not exactly sure what you mean here, as in on the portal? You can give them kudos with the Thread Rating System, check it out.
Currently, in my home page, i have topic from a specific board id (news board: only admin (Me) can create a new topic > like an article system).
I think is a good feature to have a button in every new topic (from every forum id) with an option to put the topic in home page (with this, if an user create a good topic, i can choice to put it in homepage).

(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]This is possible with a plugin, however... why? Since the avatars are just a subfolder of the attachments they ARE separated already.
Simply to maintain it separated and in different directory (not important obviously).

(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure the Dev's appreciate this a lot Big Grin
eheheheh, what is right is right Big Grin

(2010-08-12, 11:50 PM)Dark-Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Already can do this yourself. MyBB allows for renaming of the files.
Very good, i'll try to search more info about this Wink
Ok, and you CAN make modifications to your portal too... see below Smile

Quote:
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]You can control what is displayed in your Admin CP settings area for the Portal Options.
Yes but i can't select a personal order and i can't choice to print only a limited numbers of chars instead to print entire post.
Ok, I see what you mean. Instead in MyBB you have 2 options... which you sometimes have to combine to get what you want. Option 1 is to make template edits. This allows for simple things like changing the order the portal stuff gets displayed. Option 2 is to write a plugin. This allows for a LOT of customization.

Quote:
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Not exactly sure what you mean here, as in on the portal? You can give them kudos with the Thread Rating System, check it out.
Currently, in my home page, i have topic from a specific board id (news board: only admin (Me) can create a new topic > like an article system).
I think is a good feature to have a button in every new topic (from every forum id) with an option to put the topic in home page (with this, if an user create a good topic, i can choice to put it in homepage).
Plugin system mate, plugin system Big Grin

Quote:
(2010-08-12, 11:26 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]This is possible with a plugin, however... why? Since the avatars are just a subfolder of the attachments they ARE separated already.
Simply to maintain it separated and in different directory (not important obviously).
I still don't see it as any more separated than it is, both are in their own folders... the avatars folder just happens to be inside the uploads folder instead of outside it.
Well, ok, i think is time to study plugin system Big Grin
(2010-08-13, 12:04 AM)Dark-Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Well, ok, i think is time to study plugin system Big Grin

And don't forget a lot of plugins already exist too. If you're looking for something in particular you can check here in the MyBB Mods database, which are all free, and then there are several Plugin Authors who have sites that host their custom work... which you usually have to subscribe to their site to get. My own subscription plugins are hosted on SCD, the site in my Sig. The others are places like mybb source. I'm not up on all the other plugin authors or their sites at this time, but if you poke around I'm sure you'll find them.

For example if you're looking to have Side Boxes on your forum in more places than the stock ones in the portal.php, then you would want to look at both my plugin for it on SCD, and labrocca's plugin for it on his site. I can't honestly say mine is better (I'm biased after all), however last time I checked mine had more features and more places you could display the boxes.

My suggestion would be to check every major plugin author's site when you're looking for something in particular... browse the screenshots and feature lists if you find more than one that would work for you, and then choose. Most of the forum owners I know have subscriptions to at least 3 of the plugin sites.
Good luck with it my friend!

SMF is good SW but MyBB is MUCH BETTER than the latest SMF version!!
(2010-08-13, 01:04 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]And don't forget a lot of plugins already exist too...
Yes, i've seen many external site with many others MyBB Plugins Wink
Thanks a lot Smile

(2010-08-13, 02:58 AM)Dude111 Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck with it my friend!

SMF is good SW but MyBB is MUCH BETTER than the latest SMF version!!
Thank'u very much Dude111 Smile

SMF toooo oooolllddd Wink

I am using SMF few years ago, and migrating to MyBB. They still difficult to modify (bad templating). With MyBB, even bad PHP knowledge like me, could do anything easily with MyBB..
Everything is almost possible.
Pages: 1 2