MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Rant] - The forum permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The new forum permissions selector is very hard to use.

I have had to refresh the page several times because the thing i am dragging sticks and i cant move any other ones.

Also it takes ages to set the permissions. I much prefer the checkboxes from 1.4.

I find this a serious problem with mybb. I can no longer add a forum in 10 seconds, now it takes about a minute, because i have to drag each permission really slowly, and when it sticks i have to refresh the page and enter all the details again.

Also, when i set the permissions for a category, child forums that i add have the default permissions, not the permissions of the category. So instead of setting the permissions once, i have to do it for each forum.

Unless this issue is addressed i'm considering changing forum software. I don't say that lightly. I really like MyBB, but this problem sets it back for me. Please address this.
(2010-08-18, 10:04 AM)magicstuff Wrote: [ -> ]I much prefer the checkboxes from 1.4.
Ditto. It's all fancy and sexy, but at what cost?

I also don't like the hover effect when you move your mouse over a templates group, very annoying. (actually, that seems to be disabled now... nevermind)
Its like microsoft with Vista - sacificing speed for fancy visuals.
I do like the modern forum permission setup way more.

There are just two things that might be nice features in future versions.

The drag and drop items unfortunately do not cover all permissions. If you for instance wanna forbid a group access to a forum totally you have to go into the advanced mode and uncheck the respective checkboxes. If simply all permissions were items it would be way easier.

If you copy forum those checkbox permissions do unfortunately not apply. All in all this is quite annoying as you never know what's been checked there.

Disregarding those two aspects, I pretty much regard the setup as perfect.
(2010-08-18, 10:04 AM)magicstuff Wrote: [ -> ]I have had to refresh the page several times because the thing i am dragging sticks and i cant move any other ones.

Same, I really liked the checkboxes.

i liked the check boxes Big Grin
Disable javascript, and it gracefully degrades to nice select boxes.

Check boxes are cool, and of course there are problems with draggable items, but personally I find it much easier.
Same but guys, really put all perm settings for the next version into the drag and drop list and not just a handful Wink
The drag and drop is faster, though it is something I have to get use to. I am sure after playing with it more I will be more use to it and I will no longer agree with these guys. :p
(2010-08-18, 03:54 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]The drag and drop is faster, though it is something I have to get use to. I am sure after playing with it more I will be more use to it and I will no longer agree with these guys. :p
Probably true. But it could be improved.

Pages: 1 2 3 4