MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advice for long term SMF user
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all Smile

As this is my first post, please be kind.

I have maintained my clan-based website for the past 5 years and during that time I opted to use the SMF forum software (Currently at 2.0 RC3, at the time it seemed like a good idea) however, I think it is about time for a change, mainly due to their slow development cycle and some annoying problems that have not yet been addressed.

On checking various forum reviews websites, MyBB seems to be top of the list on most of them (or very near the top of the list).

I am currently developing a Joomla based site to replace my old Xhtml/PHP/MySQL based one and would like to take this opportunity to change my forum software but preferably without losing all of the 3700+ posts that exist on my old forum.

My questions are as follows :-
  • Will your software handle 130+ members.
  • Can I merge my existing posts into MyBB.
  • How easy is it to linik with Joomla 1.5.20.
  • How easy is it to change the MyBB template if required.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I may have some additional questions if that is ok.

edjon2000 (Jon)
1) Will your software handle 130+ members

Very easily. As you can see, the MyBB Community forums handle way more than 130 members without the slightest hint of strain.

2) Can I merge my existing posts into MyBB

That's what the MyBB Merge System is for. It will let you transfer your forum over to MyBB and keep most of the data.

3) How easy is it to linik with Joomla 1.5.20

There is a forum dedicated to tutorials and scripts to help you merge your software. I do believe that JFusion allows merging with MyBB, but it is outdated and I'm not sure if it will still work. If anything, you can try and request somebody to make a link.

4) How easy is it to change the MyBB template if required

The MyBB templating system is extremely simple to use. If you want to change a theme, all you need to do is import an XML file in the Admin CP and press a button! The theme editor is also very simple, as MyBB has a cool interface for handling each class separately.

Good luck and a good choice switching to MyBB Smile
Wow Zash thanks for the quick reply Smile

Lol you caught me out there, Ok additional questions are as follows :-
  • On the MyBB wiki it refers to merging works up to version 1.4 does this now cover the current version 1.6.
  • Am I able to embed say YouTube videos within posts easily (I have some WoW quest completion videos which I am keen to include).
  • Does MyBB support SEO/SEF url's.
Hmm I haven't yet updated my profile but my website is at
http://www.euadvantage.com
The new template I am going to be using is at
http://www.euadvantage.com/advnew
And the Joomla version I am building is at
http://www.euadvantage.com/advnew-j
This Joomla version will eventually replace the main site once I add the custom PHP coding for the members tools.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Jon
(2010-08-28, 01:54 AM)edjon2000 Wrote: [ -> ]On the MyBB wiki it refers to merging works up to version 1.4 does this now cover the current version 1.6.

Yes there's a MyBB 1.6 merge system, the Wiki just needs updating.

(2010-08-28, 01:54 AM)edjon2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Am I able to embed say YouTube videos within posts easily (I have some WoW quest completion videos which I am keen to include).

You can check out the built in video options on the right hand side of the editor here on MyBB.com. There's also a plugin that automatically embeds video links, making it even simpler. Smile
Hi AJS Smile

I can't get used to these quick replies Smile

I have added to my post probably whilst you were posting, MyBB is sounding better and better, btw is there an alternative option for Joomla linking rather than Jfusion available at the moment or should I suggest in the politest terms that they upgrade it (I have used Jfusion in the past when I last converted my site to use Joomla with my current SMF forum).

Jon
MyBB has SEF URL's as part of the core system. There's also an excellent plugin that rewrites URL's to include keywords - Google SEO

I'm not sure about Joomla/Jfusion, from what I've seen it's not a very good bridge and there's little interest in developing it. There are other options though, depending on your needs the Page Manager may be a more reliable solution.
Ahh ok,

Thanks AJS I will have a look at that
Ok I have looked at Page Manager but am not sure how that could be applied to Joomla linking, it seems to be for creating custom pages that (thankfully) also support PHP, that is a huge bonus for me as regards custom tools I may design in the future.

Jon

p.s. I also have some questions about the merge system which I will place in the appropriate section.
i just recently changed from smf to mybb and am very happy there are a few bugs with the smf2 converter with attachments and also the password converter both easily fixed for the attachments see http://dev.mybb.com/issues/906
Hi adbrad Smile

Thank you for your quick response I will check out your link.

Oh btw I forgot to ask, was that using the myBB1.6 merge system?

Jon
Pages: 1 2