MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should MyBB count as CMS or Social Network yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Talk back about wordpress they used to be blog but they are now so called CMS.
MyBB although it's forum but compare forum system to Wordpress is more advance. They both grow in opposite way but wordpress already so called CMS? what about MyBB?

In the midtime before 1.6 was arrived. I was gathered 400+ of 1.4 plugins then activate about 80% of them & start coding some templates & themes. They start look like CMS for me like:
- Userprofile: if gather too much they'll look like hi5 layout. Additon with fbdock it start more like social network pages.
- With pagemanagers & portal.php: they're first step for turn MyBB into CMS. Also more secure since page manager can control usergroup to view. Also I've advance portal in other hand not activate yet.
- With those new pages plugins like: Blogs, games, gallery, vgallery. I don't feel to need wordpress or CMS anymore.
- Acording to blog plugins: They may not look advance like wordpress but they're free blog hosting for MyBB users passasively.Angel
- Group systems: Isn't that they're more like social network?
- TheHostingTool(post2host billing system): which known for compatible with MyBB & other forum. How about wordpress or other CMS I never seen it.Lightbulb

**I've look around hi5 menus & systems MyBB have sorts of these options. Just what different that hi5 doesn't have forum. Angel**

What about MyBB developers & fans opinions here? Is MyBB still remains as forum or CMS in the darkness? Still people believe it's just a forum & cannot overcome to CMS. I won't say anything with them but niether agree with them since I watch a lots of MyBB forum user's sites & My own experiments with MyBB. Everyone done well.
Imo, MyBB comes under the category "Bulletin Board".

MyBB = MyBulletinBoard

Otherwise it would be MyCMS. Toungue
I think your confusing the core with the possibilities of plugins. MyBB it self is still very much a forum/bb at it's core.

But, through the plugin system(which is meant to extend past the core) we are starting to see CMS like features.
with hundreds of plugins, you can set MyBB as you like.
Mine, is CMS already.
Now, being custom build like Social Network Wink

Please prepare your server resources before did this, not all plugins are well coded for performance
Why isn't there a no option? Its a forum system,. not a social network. As for CMS, no its not. Editing it, or plugins/themes might make it a CMS, but MyBB itself isn't.
it's a forum system
as MyNetwork was vaporware =(
Technically, all forums are content management and social networking systems Wink

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
Wikipedia Wrote:A content management system (CMS) is the collection of procedures used to manage work flow in a collaborative environment. These procedures can be manual or computer-based. The procedures are designed to:

* Allow for a large number of people to contribute to and share stored data
* Control access to data, based on user roles. User roles define what information each user can view or edit
* Aid in easy storage and retrieval of data
* Reduce repetitive duplicate input
* Improve the ease of report writing
* Improve communication between users

Sounds exactly like a forum. And Social Networking is anything designed for people to interact with one another.
(2010-09-01, 12:54 AM)Glas Wrote: [ -> ]it's a forum system

I don't get where MyNetwork not being released in time (because that's what vaporware means) has to do with MyBB being or not being a CMS or Social Networking software. And that word does not apply to MyNetwork that well anyway since it's been released already. Or did I misunderstand?
(2010-09-01, 01:31 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-01, 12:54 AM)Glas Wrote: [ -> ]it's a forum system

I don't get where MyNetwork not being released in time (because that's what vaporware means) has to do with MyBB being or not being a CMS or Social Networking software. And that word does not apply to MyNetwork that well anyway since it's been released already. Or did I misunderstand?

Maybe it's my mistake, but as far i know, MyNetwork was not released yet, and it's supossed to give many social network features
nvm
MyNetwork has been released for a couple of weeks Dodgy
Pages: 1 2