MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some advice if you are going to buy a GFX card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well, this is not about the latest cards it's rather a particular card you may want to avoid.
I bought an HD3650 AGP DDR2 512MB card late 2008 and always thought i had low fps, because my PSU and CPU were bad, but that is not the case. The HD3650 was never good even with a quad-core it is just a die-shrink from previous series.
So if you encounter someone on a forum, a friend or yourself in the need to buy an HD3k series AGP card i suggest going 3850 onwards.
An HD3850 would be much better, but if you are going to do business stuff or movies then 3650 is ok, but just so you know even old games have bad FPS on the HD3650.
If i were to choose now i'd say either 3850 or 3870.

I know many people have already switched to PCI-E, but there are many people that can't afford new PCs, just a new component here and there
Dikidera, sad you don't live near me i have a 512 AGP thats close to what you need.

Also as to upgrading, it may sound stupid, but some new asus P7's i think, support both DDR 2 and 3. The only change is the CPU. You can get a low cost one for about 300. 400 ended up if you can use your old stuff. It might be even 775 i can't remember at all to be honest.

Regardless sucks to hear.
No, i have a card, but i am not satisfied. I posted this topic to tell people to avoid this particular model should they do gaming on an old p4 system with agp slot.
If i were to upgrade i am going for an 3850 with gddr3 memory and 256-bit bus or even 3870 but it is expensive
P4 you mean P4-800VM? or old one? And thats pushing a lot more from what i was saying,.
I mean a CPU like Intel Celeron series or Pentium 4 like the one with 1Mb cache, HT etc
(2010-09-08, 12:20 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I mean a CPU like Intel Celeron series or Pentium 4 like the one with 1Mb cache, HT etc

Ah sorry i was thinking you were saying the motherboard.
AGP is REALLY outdated... but if you're tight on money I guess it's ok. Personally I'd rather just save up for a new computer.
Well, the average American can buy an i7, while the average European can't even buy some RAM Wink
lol yeah, but there is a reason....

Take an i7-960 - 3.2GHz:

USA: Newegg (a resonable value site) link to CPU = $569.99

UK (europe): Ebuyer (same sort of value as newegg in the uk) Link to CPU = £462.79

According to xe.com the currency conversion is £1=$1.55048.
So £462.79*1.55048=$717.547

This is not $569.99 its 25% more expensive in the UK.

Then look at the GDP per capita (as an estimation of wealth)(2009):

UK: $34,800
USA:$46,000

The usa has a 32% higher GDP(PPP).

Thats why your average American can afford and i7 and European cannot.
Does that include America's money-hungry Banks?
Pages: 1 2 3 4