MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Auto Resize Prior to Attaching Image
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The image is resized automatically. When you load the page it DOESNT load the full image and then resize it when the page is loaded. It loads the thumbnail only.

The full sized image is only loaded when its clicked.

Are you talking about actuall attachments or images displayed in [img] tags ?
Why not just use the fit on page plugin?
(2010-09-11, 10:53 PM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]The image is resized automatically. When you load the page it DOESNT load the full image and then resize it when the page is loaded. It loads the thumbnail only.

Seriously, you're getting a bit over-bearing. If this all you have to offer, please don't. I've already tested all available solutions and none fit.

Why do you feel the need to continue badgering this thread?
(2010-09-11, 11:12 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just use the fit on page plugin?

Tried it, didn't care for it.
(2010-09-12, 12:13 AM)Randy A Wrote: [ -> ]Tried it, didn't care for it.

Fair enough then.
(2010-09-12, 12:13 AM)Randy A Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-11, 10:53 PM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]The image is resized automatically. When you load the page it DOESNT load the full image and then resize it when the page is loaded. It loads the thumbnail only.

Seriously, you're getting a bit over-bearing. If this all your have to offer, please don't. I've already tested all available solutions and none fit.

Why do you feel the need to continue badgering this thread?
(2010-09-11, 11:12 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just use the fit on page plugin?

Tried it, didn't care for it.

Your looking to do something thats already set as default. But you obviously completely blind to that fact. Anyway Goodluck Big Grin
No, I'm not....You're just completely ignorant to the fact that I'd prefer something else and think because I'm a Newbie, I don't know what I'm talking about. Give it a rest, please. I've already told you that I don't prefer the option that you're suggestiong....move on down the road to another thread. Geez....is this the kind of support the MyBB board provides?
I understand exactly what Randy A is looking for as I am looking for the same thing (hence my finding this thread). Since there does not appear to be an existing plugin for this, I will look into creating one.

Users on my site are able to resize on their own, but the users on my wife's site are maxing out there quota's since they don't know how (or want to) resize before uploading. Thus they are hitting their quotas with 8-10 attachments.

To be clear for janota, the request to supply a maximum resolution (and/or filesize in my case) for an image attachment so that when an attachment is saved to the server, it is resized to that max as defined by the admin. The thumbnail is still created as it normally would be.
++++++++++++

Well after looking into building a plugin, its not really feasible without core file edits.

As I have suggested to my wife to share with her visitors, find an image resizer for thier own machines. I suggested the Image Resizer from Prish for Windows users (as found on the MSDN and Windows Live blogs). It adds right-click copy/resize functions to windows explorer

Try Xthreads file attachements. You can specify file size and dimensions. You can also determine what size the same pic is displayed on the forum.

check this:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-975.html

then go and get this:

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31
(2010-11-04, 06:29 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Try Xthreads file attachements. You can specify file size and dimensions. You can also determine what size the same pic is displayed on the forum.

check this:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-975.html

then go and get this:

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

but you are still constrained by the PHP max_upload_size directive at the server level, and then MyBB attachment code that uses the temp file (uploaded file) to calculate the determine the max file size and compares that to the settings in the ACP, before ever moving the file to the \uploads folder.

So the image will never get to spot that it can be resized by the server for dimensions if it "too big" for a basic user.

Most of the time the filesize trigger is hit before the file dimensions are checked as most images that are too tall/wide are also too many bytes.

So either you need to increase the ACP settings to allow larger attachments,w hich can be bad, or you have to alter the core code (or replace a lot of it via a plugin) to change how MyBB handles attachments.

Think of it this way, a novice user takes a picture with their 10 megapixel camera and copies the file to their computer for upload. Not only is the image like 2048x1766 or something like that, its also 5mb in size.

The MyBB attachment code will take the uploaded image (if PHP allowed it) and then determine that its over the ACP setting and deny the attachment, before it gets to a point it can be resized.

xThreads does not deal with the scenario, as far as I know.
Oh I see - I'm sorry - I misread. Hmm. Well there are free resize scripts like irfan view and I do think that Xthreads with its file by file upload checks is in the right direction - its just a case of getting the older/less pc savvy user to understand HOW to resize - and that is harder than it sounds. Or make a plugin.
Pages: 1 2 3