MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum Success
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What determines the sucess of a Forum?!

I've just launched my Forums and I've found myself wondering about how I can make it appeal to people and of course make it into a fun and friendly place to be. First and foremost my site is a hobby to me so I enjoy computing and web development so my forums theme is based around that. I know in this sector the competition is high and I'm not trying to create or invent some major statement fora!

I would however genuinely welcome some feedback or guidance from those of you who have successful forums and maybe you could suggest some direction for us newbies so we can learn more and perhaps apply that to our own forum management and practises!

Thanks in advance! Smile

Thoughts are welcome!

Hazel Blush
The only way to attract people is content, however the only way to get a person to stick around is a friendly community, good first impression, and constantly updated/new content.

Take a look at my site Dynaxel, its a good example of how to attract people, however they won't stick around because content is added monthly and people are impatient so they leave. However it wasn't made to be a "community" so thats the other variable Toungue
I was actually looking at your site earlier Jessie lol 300 members very impressive to this newbie! I do agree with you in terms of content and quality - frequency, hmm I think I may OD on that one, I'm a postaholic really and I love talking about web design and development, anything computery and I'm in! Why did you choose to post on a monthly basis?

Like Jessie says, I got atracted to dynaxel becuase of blueshrine.
When the owner is content.
(2010-09-21, 11:45 PM)BrianRR Wrote: [ -> ]Like Jessie says, I got atracted to dynaxel becuase of blueshrine.

Its Blue'shire'* Wink

(2010-09-21, 11:33 PM)hazelstutorials Wrote: [ -> ]I was actually looking at your site earlier Jessie lol 300 members very impressive to this newbie! I do agree with you in terms of content and quality - frequency, hmm I think I may OD on that one, I'm a postaholic really and I love talking about web design and development, anything computery and I'm in! Why did you choose to post on a monthly basis?

I don't post on a monthy basis, but the average time spawn in between content updates is within 3-5 weeks at the moment (theme upgrades, new themes, etc.).

The owner is content - Now, I've two ways of reading this :p Content as in material?! If so that's an interesting angle - can you elaborate a bit for me please? Smile

@Jessie - So people are following your forums because of you and your themes etc hmm that's nice concept, a nice way of promotion too! I guess once you're good at what you do, regardless of timeframe, people will keep returning as in your case which is great!

@Uncontrol - I did read that thread and there's some good points alright, I guess my question was more in terms of management, promotion or indeed focus/direction - rather than the generic "I want lots of people to register, tell me how... quick" type of question! Smile
well my forum is ticking over slowly wouldn't say it was succesful mind.
well from where I'm sitting 79 members is nothing to snub your nose at, that's successful in my book - you're obviously doing something right! Smile Best of luck with it!

Any tips you could share - management wise?
Pages: 1 2 3