MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Good Book to Learn PHP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I already know the basics of PHP, but I'm having trouble getting past them - probably because I'm not learning it properly. I've looked at some Tizag and w3 tutorials, and they are good as references but don't teach that much.

In school I'm learning Visual Basic and we have a book that spends like an entire chapter on one thing (like variables, or if...else statements, etc.) with 5 reviews and then like 10 exercises per chapter. These are very repetitive and it truly helps me learn the language.

I was wondering if there was something similar for PHP. I'm looking for an actual book, not like a $5 eBook. Thanks.
I need this book as well since I'm in the same boat haha.
Wrox Publishing's Beginning PHP5, Followed by Wrox Publishing's Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySQL Web Development, and then Wrox Publishing's Professional PHP5 with assistance from Wrox Publishing's Beginning Regular Expressions, also possibly enhanced by Wrox Publishing's Beginning JavaScript

Big Grin

You can get these all on Amazon.com super cheap (I bought each one for 1 cent + $3.99 shipping)
Looks like they aren't that cheap at the moment, but still pretty darned cheap anyways.

Beginning PHP5
Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySQL Web Development
Professional PHP5

Also a couple of Sams Teach Yourself
Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes
I'll second the wrox recommendations. I love their books.
(2010-09-29, 01:21 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I'll second the wrox recommendations. I love their books.

I'm sitting here staring at 17 of them, including those 5 lol. I also have Beginning Ruby on Rails, and a bunch for C++ and C#. Not to mention Java, JavaScript, PERL, and Visual Basic.
This is making me try to remember what my favourite brand is... Damn you girl that stole my book. >_>
Hmm, the reviews on Amazon seem to say that there are lots of grammatical and even coding/syntax errors in the books.
Go to a book store and buy 'Php/MYSQL for Dummies' Smile
(2010-09-29, 06:30 AM)Modv2 Wrote: [ -> ]Go to a book store and buy 'Php/MYSQL for Dummies' Smile

This. Smile
Pages: 1 2