MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Copyright Removed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I see many users using my themes but they are removing my copyright. What I can do about that? I think MyBB should take some step to protect the MyBB designers work. It's not only my problem, its the problem of other designers too.
DMCA or C&D the site owner. site host!

It's nothing we can do anything about. It's your work and your licence to enforce. It's not our job to enforce your licence and chase down people who break them.
Anyone knows whose site is this?

junglebox.co.uk , I can't find the host of that site.
(2010-10-04, 09:42 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It's nothing we can do anything about. It's your work and your licence to enforce. It's not our job to enforce your licence and chase down people who break them.

At least MyBB can stop giving support to those sites and prevent them from showcasing their sites in MyBB.
junglebox.co.uk Is Hosted by PCS Network

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/junglebox.co.uk
(2010-10-04, 09:42 PM)Sukanjan.K Wrote: [ -> ]At least MyBB can stop giving support to those sites and prevent them from showcasing their sites in MyBB.

So we have to know of, be able to memorise, and recognise every theme made for 1.6, know who made it, and know the licence of it, so that with every forum we see we know if they've broken the copyright and who to contact about it??

We deny people support if they break our rules but we can't do it if they break the licence of your theme. Dealing with theme licensing issues, of which there are probably many, isn't how we should be spending our time. It's not our work, we didn't release the theme, or choose the licence.

I'm not saying that removing the copyright is right, far from it, but it's not something we should be the ones to enforce.
(2010-10-04, 09:47 PM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]junglebox.co.uk Is Hosted by PCS Network

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/junglebox.co.uk

Thank you.

(2010-10-04, 09:50 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-04, 09:42 PM)Sukanjan.K Wrote: [ -> ]At least MyBB can stop giving support to those sites and prevent them from showcasing their sites in MyBB.

So we have to know of, be able to memorise, and recognise every theme made for 1.6, know who made it, and know the licence of it, so that with every forum we see we know if they've broken the copyright and who to contact about it??

We deny people support if they break our rules but we can't do it if they break the licence of your theme. Dealing with theme licensing issues, of which there are probably many, isn't how we should be spending our time. It's not our work, we didn't release the theme, or choose the licence.

I'm not saying that removing the copyright is right, far from it, but it's not something we should be the ones to enforce.

Yes I agree with you that reminding every theme, every plug-in and its creators is impossible. But I just want to know If any day in showcase or in support, we report a site about copyright infringement, Will MyBB stop giving support to the site? Will the showcase thread of that site will be locked?
Start making your themes for premium softwares like IPB or VB?
Easy method: Add a HTML comment with your copyright somewhere the user won't look =P Then your ownership is still identified and you can prove it's your theme.
You could do something i saw once and only once so far. Does right along the lines of what euantor mentioned. One theme I ran for phpBB a long time back actually had an image in it, just a blank gif image, that would call a subdomain on the creators site. (say th.host.com) so that he would know all calls to that image would be from either the site using it or the person fixing/modifying it. I messaged him to ask if it served a purpose, and he told me that he used another php script to call the access logs and locate the referring address. It'd then log it to a sql db for his records. Dont know if he caught a huge amount of people this way, but at the least he could see where a lot of his work was at.

The location of the image code was in a creative place too... It was something like 5/8ths the way down the list, a nice short url so it wouldnt stretch past the rest of the css and stick out like a sore thumb. I want to say it was added to a randomly named css call that would sit in the header itself, just below the actual header (as a separator of sorts).

Just an idea of how you could do it...
--pyr0
Pages: 1 2