MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB bandwidth questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. How much bandwidth does each individual user take up?
2. How much bandwidth does each individual topic take up?
3. How much bandwidth does each individual reply take up?
4. How much bandwidth does each individual category take up?
5. How much bandwidth does each individual forum take up.
6. How much bandwidth does each individual calendar event take up?

And lastly, how much bandwidth do these topics take up both individually and combined, are they a huge waste of bandwidth or just like so minuscule that it doesn't matter, this is where I listed my site's affiliates (one topic per each affiliate): http://pcannon.x10hosting.com/forums/for...hp?fid=125
I'm not sure what you mean by users/topics/forums etc 'taking up' bandwidth... what exactly are you referring to here?? When you view a forum or profile, or... what??
(2010-10-08, 02:06 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what you mean by users/topics/forums etc 'taking up' bandwidth... what exactly are you referring to here?? When you view a forum or profile, or... what??

No like how much does having a forum take up? Like you have 5 forums for instance. How much does each forum take up to simply have it. Say they were empty, how much would it take up. And how much a profile would take up, not to view, but to actually physically exist on the server.
You don't know what bandwidth is.
Bandwidth is just the term used to show the total data transferred between a user and a computer. Each topic and forum will use up more bandwidth depending on the content that's in each section.
Bandwidth and diskspace are two very different things.

A 'profile' takes up no space as it's not stored anywhere, the raw data is stored in the database. Forums/categories take up very little as there isn't much information needed for them. IIRC, some of the larger MyBB forums say their database size is about 1GB per million posts. Whether that's just the posts table, or the entire database with a proportionate number of users, I can't remember, but if you're running a million post forum you'll have server with plenty of disk space to cope. Obviously if your users all post one or two sentence posts, the posts table will be much smaller than if they only post essays.

Many different things can effect bandwidth, but you can use GZIP compression if it's a problem. If you have a hosting account with XXGB of bandwidth and XX/XXXGB of disk space, you'll be fine.
Get unlimited if you can then no need worry

I recommend to abuse http://one.com
There's no such thing as unlimited. Unlimited usually means oversold. Buy something realistic.
I meant diskspace, sorry. My bad.
I don't find Mybb to take up much space at all. I had a mybb forum with a few thousand posts and took up like 400mb and I had other stuff in the files... So yeah - it doesn't take a lot of space. Smile
Pages: 1 2