MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Prefix problem - Is it a bug?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I noticed a small problem when I enabled the "Prefix" function. For example, I added a prefix named "Others", and when the user browsed the thread containing the prefix, the prefix would be mixed with the original thread subject in the thread window. I changed the "Display Style" setting in prefix function to "[Others]", but can't solve the problem.

I think maybe I can edit a template file in MyBB, and add some separators inside the template to separate the prefix and the thread subject, so that it looks like "[Others] My Thread Subject". Could you please tell me which template file I have to edit? Thanks.
Change the plain text prefix to [Others] too.
(2010-10-15, 06:24 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Change the plain text prefix to [Others] too.

But that will show "[]" characters in the prefix drop down box too, it looks not so good, especially if we setup many prefixes in the drop down box. Sad
(2010-10-15, 06:24 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Change the plain text prefix to [Others] too.

That kind of defeats the point of having the option of both.
(2010-10-15, 06:44 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]

That kind of defeats the point of having the option of both.

Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking.

The reason it shows the plain text one there is because if it showed the coloured one, you'd have to choose a colour that shows up on both the thead and the trows, i.e. the header there and each row in the thread list, and if you have a dark thead and a light trow it's going to be very hard to find colours that are clear and visible on both. What you could do is, in ./showthread.php, line 62, find:

$thread['threadprefix'] = $threadprefix['prefix'].' ';

change to:

$thread['threadprefix'] = "[" . $threadprefix['prefix'].'] ';

Then it'll show as [Prefix] where you circled in your printscreen.
Then when the prefix was designed it should have been designed to be visibly separate from a thread title. This is an oversight from the MyBB team.
(2010-10-15, 07:30 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]This is an oversight from the MyBB team.

Even though 1.6 was in public beta for 2 and a half months and nobody from the community suggested it in the suggestions forum?? The point of a beta is for people to find things that don't work and make suggestions to improve things. Originally it was like it was now, it was suggested to show the styled version so it stood out, but then we realised that wouldn't work either for the reason I outlined above, so it was changed back, but nobody said they'd want it to have [ ] around it at the time.

I mean I don't disagree with you that having [ ] around it or something is better and I'd be tempted to add this as a bug still as it's not clear, but it's not solely our fault that it isn't already like that.
i don't think it should have [ ] by default as it would make my styled prefixes look wierd.
It would only be on the thead above the first post on the showthread page, currently shows the plain version there, not the styled one. It wouldn't be in the actual prefix itself.
Pages: 1 2