MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: NAS Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a good NAS (Network addressable Server). Not wanting to spend a lot, around $150 AU or so. I have done some research and cannot find to much. Dad did get a Netgear one, but it is great, it doesn't work with Win7 and does not do what we want it to do.

Thanks,
Cohen
NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. I suggest any of the Synology brands. I have the DS110j and the DS209. Both were cheap at Newegg.com and both ROCK! One is using the DSM 3.0 and the other is using DSM 2.2, the linux OS is limited but I can still write my own shell scripts for ease of use.

Oh, and both run MyBB without any issues. Smile
Synology is a great brand i agree. But if you really want a worry free one, get a thecus.

What Netgear do you have? I just got back from fixing someones Netgear Nas to work with linux, it didn't work with Ubuntu Toungue.
May I suggest setting up an old PC you may have lying around or getting a cheap diy pc build combo (you can get one for around $250 in the US) and loading up something like openfiler on it. It gives you way more flexibility, both in terms of usability (scripts, interface etc) and upgradeability to more advanced hardware like larger hard drives, faster network etc for the future.

Otherwise if you must go for a stand-alone NAS, synology is agood brand to go for.
(2010-10-17, 12:35 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. I suggest any of the Synology brands. I have the DS110j and the DS209. Both were cheap at Newegg.com and both ROCK! One is using the DSM 3.0 and the other is using DSM 2.2, the linux OS is limited but I can still write my own shell scripts for ease of use.

Oh, and both run MyBB without any issues. Smile

Some sites say different definitions.

I just want to have a NAS to share music, photos, movies etc for all of my family members in the house. No other crap.

(2010-10-17, 01:57 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Synology is a great brand i agree. But if you really want a worry free one, get a thecus.

What Netgear do you have? I just got back from fixing someones Netgear Nas to work with linux, it didn't work with Ubuntu Toungue.

I will at those brands. We got a netgear one (cannot remember the model number and cannot be bothered to find out), and it doesn't work with Win 7, struggled with Win Vista and XP as well! It doesn't function like NAS should and able to shared stuff. It's just like an external hard drive (just on the network)

(2010-10-17, 09:57 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]May I suggest setting up an old PC you may have lying around or getting a cheap diy pc build combo (you can get one for around $250 in the US) and loading up something like openfiler on it. It gives you way more flexibility, both in terms of usability (scripts, interface etc) and upgradeability to more advanced hardware like larger hard drives, faster network etc for the future.

Otherwise if you must go for a stand-alone NAS, synology is agood brand to go for.

I would setup an old PC, but dad doesn't want the running costs of it, he'd rather use a NAS. I have already had that discussion with him.
(2010-10-17, 10:28 AM)cohen Wrote: [ -> ]It's just like an external hard drive (just on the network)

Thats what NAS is by defiition: Network Attached Storage.
A server that uses Intel Atom and integrated graphics will use very little power, slightly higher than that of NAS I believe.
Get the netgear number, the config might just be wrong. The Thecus are the best you can get.
I got an old computer who did run Win XP here with a new OS, Windows Home Server. Works perfectly with the other computers in the house running Win XP, Vista, 7 and Mac OS.
I built a low powered Intel Atom server for about double what I paid for my single-bay NAS and it uses 23w on average while my NAS uses around 16w on average.

That being said, Synology has built in Photo, Audio, DLNA, Download, HTTP, FTP, Mail, and plenty more services that are easy to configure. My family all uses various Windows distros while I use Fedora. Samba works awesome but NFS is annoying without guest permissions enabled. If you ever get an Android there are apps for connecting to your NAS's Audio and Photo services also.
Pages: 1 2