MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum showing †instead of quotations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We just moved our myBB forum from one host to another. Everything transferred over correctly and everything went smooth.

Now, though, we notice that in all our posts, the symbol of †shows up instead of quotes. All language packs seem up to date - we just converted over to MyBB 1.6 about a month or so before switching hosts and everything was fine then.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Update: This is actually on all the back posts. 's shows up as â€s. All the new posts since the hosting switch are fine.
Can we get a link?
It is at avbbf.com. Here is a page with examples on it. It is only in the past posts, not the new ones written. http://www.avbbf.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5190

A sentence with examples would be: This is the reading found in Tyndale 1525, Coverdale 1535, Cranmer 1539, the Bishops’ Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible 1599, Wesley’s translation 1755, the Revised Version 1885, the ASV of 1901, Rotherham’s Emphasized Bible 1902, Darby, Young’s,
Did you notice that this happens with only the thread maker.
All the other posts are clear.

Just re-upload all the language packages and your problem will be solved.
I doubt this has anything to do with language packs as this is occurring in the posts and those have nothing to do with the language files.

This is a character encoding problem and it comes up when you either copy paste from a site in to a post or in case of moving databases, the new database is not set to the same/correct encoding as the old one. Can you check in your old inc/config.php and your new inc/config.php and see if the encodings match?
Checking and will get back with you soon. Thanks.
I looked at the inc/config.php file and here is the only information that was changed when the database was converted. This is the new database settings in the .php file.

$config['database']['type'] = 'mysqli';
$config['database']['database'] = 'avbbf2';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = '';
$config['database']['hostname'] = 'mysql.avbbf.com';
$config['database']['username'] = '*THE USERNAME IN HERE IS CORRECT*';
$config['database']['password'] = '*THE PASSWORD IN HERE IS CORRECT*';

Do any of these settings look funny or should the one that is blank have something in it?
What do you have for $config['database']['encoding'] in the old and the new?
New one:

/**
* Database Encoding
* If you wish to set an encoding for MyBB uncomment
* the line below (if it isn't already) and change
* the current value to the mysql charset:
* http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/c...mysql.html
*/

$config['database']['encoding'] = 'utf8';

I did a backup and saved it on my computer, but how do I find the old config file?

Also, under Home >> System Health in the Admin CP, the UTF-8 Conversion shows this: All tables have already been converted or are already in UTF-8 format.

Don't know if that helps or not.
The database tag line of 'utf8' matches the old file.

any other ideas???
Since its only happening with old posts you can run a script/sql query to find and replace the characters to quotations.

EDIT: heres one way of doing it:

NOTE: BACKUP YOUR DATABASE FIRST!! If something goes wrong and you don't have a proper backup, do not come blaming me Wink

change mybb_ with your own table prefix.

UPDATE mybb_posts
SET message = replace(message,'’','\'');
UPDATE mybb_posts
SET message = replace(message,'”','"');
UPDATE mybb_posts
SET message = replace(message,'“','"');
UPDATE mybb_posts
SET message = replace(message,'‘','\'');
Pages: 1 2 3