MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Informal Warnings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I apologize if this has already been suggested before, but I didn't find it using a search.

What I'd suggest is the ability to give "informal warnings" in the warning system - that is, warnings that alert the user of a rule violation that is normally covered by a warning with point values, but do not contribute to the warning level.

These are known as "warnings" in the vBulletin system (warnings are known as "infractions"), and would be a good feature to have, in my opinion.
Why not just warn them and use a warning with a value of 0?
I've been wanting this too. I love WoltLabs "Strike" system. I always found the term warning to be misleading for regular people.
(2010-10-30, 01:10 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just warn them and use a warning with a value of 0?

Because then I have to create a separate warning tier for each infraction, which is tedious and cluttery.

These "informal warnings" are meant to be exactly the same as regular warnings, only with a marker not to count toward the warning level total.

It's not like I can't hack it in myself, but I'd like to see this be an official feature.

Also, perhaps you could change the terminology from "informal warnings" and "warnings" to "warnings" and "infractions". Unless vBulletin somehow has a copyright on that concept.
It seems pretty illogical.
To warn a user that they might get an "Infraction" which itself is the warning.

If your warnings are mostly 1 - 2 points, while it automatically suspends or bans the user somewhere around 7 or higher, this isn't an issue since most users will not make the same mistake again and the "warning" would expire in time.
As mentioned above, use a custom warning with a value of 0 or 1. There's little benefit in adding "new" features if they can already be easily accomplished by means of the other default features.
(2010-10-30, 05:14 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]As mentioned above, use a custom warning with a value of 0 or 1. There's little benefit in adding "new" features if they can already be easily accomplished by means of the other default features.

That's just the point - it's not easy.

But I guess this means I'll have to hack it in myself. It's easy, but tedious to do for every release >_>

(2010-10-30, 05:11 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]It seems pretty illogical.
To warn a user that they might get an "Infraction" which itself is the warning.

Tell that to the vBulletin developers. It's all a matter of terminology >_>

Quote:If your warnings are mostly 1 - 2 points, while it automatically suspends or bans the user somewhere around 7 or higher, this isn't an issue since most users will not make the same mistake again and the "warning" would expire in time.

My warnings are anywhere from 1 to 15 points and they ban the user after the 30-point mark.
Here's an easy way.
Create a new warning which doesn't add to the percentage, and tell your moderators to PM members when they use it. (You can PM from the warning page, and customize your own message template.)
You could name it 'Rule Violation'.
U want a warning system that displays a little message on the users posts that they have been warned , a seperate warning system ?
(2010-10-30, 09:37 PM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]U want a warning system that displays a little message on the users posts that they have been warned , a seperate warning system ?

No, it's just a marker for warnings that make them worth 0 points. They're not separate warnings.

Their purpose is to warn somebody of a rule without charging them any points for it, and still record it in the warning log. Because the user might not have known about the rule beforehand, and it's always good to make sure.

This is mainly for the benefit of admins who are migrating from vBulletin. They won't be used to not being able to issue "yellow-card" warnings (known as "warnings").

(2010-10-30, 09:34 PM)iBf Wrote: [ -> ]Here's an easy way.
Create a new warning which doesn't add to the percentage, and tell your moderators to PM members when they use it. (You can PM from the warning page, and customize your own message template.)
You could name it 'Rule Violation'.

I've already set it up so that the warning automatically sends a PM - no choice(or hassle) on the moderator's part.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6