MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Licensing issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, im involved in a new project and we're using Microsoft Foundation Server as our source control. However one of the terms of use is that the project has to be open source, so we licensed it under GPL v2.

The application acts much like the software installer found on Mac and linux, with repos. We, as the owners, want to be able to blacklist certain repos and restrict what repos can contain (such as warez and illegal downloads), but someone could simply take a modified client without the blacklist... We are going to make the server software closed sourcewith a PHP front end, then use ioncube to encode it. I assume we could put this under a license which forbids the creation of warez repos. BUT how do i stop people reverse engineering the client to construct their own database structure, as they have the source?

Sad
Encrypt it?
It has to be open source though Confused
You can release the encrypted source? :p
New codebase? :p
What are you coding it in?
vb.net Smile for my UCAS enrichment Big Grin

using codeplex.com as TFS. But to use TFS the project MUST be open source.
If its open source you can't do crap except make it hard for the person to find the file, or use messy code, or for the source you release don't tell what code is what. So it takes time. DOwnside to open source.
So you want to try and prevent people from modifying an open source program with malicious intent?

Good luck.
no, they can edit the client as much as they like. But the SERVER software will be closed source. However any clever person could reverse engineer the server software from the official client source Confused
Pages: 1 2