MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blank upgrade.php
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have:

(1) Shut down the forum.
(2) Backed up SQL in two different ways.
(3) Downloaded the entire file system from the 1.4 system.
(4) Uploaded the contents of the 1.6 upgrade files.

I'm now at the point of beginning the upgrade, but when I try to access the ./install/upgrade.php file, it brings up a blank page!

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

How am I supposed to go about the upgrade if the upgrade file is empty?! I did a secondary download of the software to check the source, and I got the same thing.

Am I missing something??
You're the first person to have anything like this... that's not even what the upgrade script outputs, it's not in capitals and includes CSS etc. What shows if you go to ./install/index.php?? Don't run through anything here, just see what shows on the screen, if anything. Looks to me like your host is outputting this, I don't believe MyBB has HTML tags in capitals anywhere.
It was the same thing. In the meantime, I deleted the install file, and I'm re-uploading the backed-up files (so as to have at least something on there).

I downloaded a fresh copy of the MyBB software (again), and checking the file from the original, it has this (truncated):

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.6
 * Copyright 2010 MyBB Group, All Rights Reserved
 * License: http://mybb.com/about/license
 * $Id: upgrade.php 5157 2010-07-31 23:36:15Z RyanGordon $
 */

if(function_exists("unicode_decode"))
{
    // Unicode extension introduced in 6.0
    error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_DEPRECATED ^ E_NOTICE ^ E_STRICT);
}
elseif(defined("E_DEPRECATED"))
{
    // E_DEPRECATED introduced in 5.3
    error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_DEPRECATED ^ E_NOTICE);
}
else
{
    error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
}

define('MYBB_ROOT', dirname(dirname(__FILE__))."/");
define("INSTALL_ROOT", dirname(__FILE__)."/");
define("TIME_NOW", time());
define('IN_MYBB', 1);
define("IN_UPGRADE", 1);

if(function_exists('date_default_timezone_set') && !ini_get('date.timezone'))
{
	date_default_timezone_set('GMT');
}

require_once MYBB_ROOT."inc/class_core.php";
$mybb = new MyBB;

***** ETC. ETC. *****

It's not really clear to me why this becomes an altered HMTL file when uploaded. Do you think this is (yet another) stupidity on the part of the Yahoo hosting service??
Now I've gone ahead and uploaded all of the new files again. I've taken a screenshot of the upgrade.php file when I view it through the file manager. It's different from what happens when I go to the page itself in the browser.

What surprises me is that I can view the source, and it's the correct source. But when I visit the page itself, I get the HTML output that I mentioned above. I don't know what could be causing it! Do you have any ideas?

I know you said that you'd not seen this before, but can you understand what's going on here? Have we had other Yahoo Webhosting clients (I pay for a "small business" package monthly) who have had something similar?

Thanks for your timely and considerate responses.

Jason
(2010-11-04, 11:48 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You're the first person to have anything like this... that's not even what the upgrade script outputs, it's not in capitals and includes CSS etc. What shows if you go to ./install/index.php?? Don't run through anything here, just see what shows on the screen, if anything. Looks to me like your host is outputting this, I don't believe MyBB has HTML tags in capitals anywhere.

bump
I am curious about this as well. I assisted with giving advice for backing up the database and I was surprised to hear the upgrade didn't work.
You'd probably be better off asking them. As I said, that output isn't even coming from MyBB, so it's something to do with your host somewhere along the line. It's outputting the contents of another file but why, I have no way of knowing. When I view the upgrade page source though, it doesn't show any source.
I've sent the following e-mail to Yahoo! Webhosting in search for an answer:

Quote:I am aware that you don't offer support for third-party software, but I'd appreciate if I could get a little help if possible.

I've been with Yahoo! Webhosting since about 2001 for my domain (jhronline.com), and I've upgraded forum software from MyBB four or five times in these nearly ten years. Each time (no kidding!) I've lost everything and had to start over. Here's my situation:

(1) I've backed up the SQL in two different formats (.sql and .xcl).
(2) I downloaded the entire /forum file system via FTP.
(3) I followed their instructions to a T, arriving at the point where I'm supposed to access the ./install/upgrade.php file.

Here's my problem:

The original file reads as a PHP code, but when I access the page through my browser (I've attempted it with IE, Chrome and Firefox), I get a blank HTML output file. I've contacted the support team at MyBB, and they said that it must have something to do with the host, since there's no reason why it should output a HTML page.

I checked the source and re-uploaded both via FTP and through the File Manager. When I view the uploaded file through the File Manager editor, it's clean and exactly what I need to see. When I access it through the browser, it's the same HTML output!

Is there anything that would be blocking the PHP and subverting it? Does this have anything to do with Yahoo! services?

If you need more information or would like to see exactly what I'm looking at, please let me know.

Thanks!

I'll let you know what they say. Frankly, I'd just like some help instead of all the buck-passing. I got that kind of treatment from Yahoo! the last time that I went through the upgrade, since they just bluntly said that it's a problem with the MyBB software and that they don't help with third-party issues.

You guys say: "It's your webhost."
Yahoo! says: "It's the software."

Meanwhile, I've lost my forum four times and have had to start over! I'm stuck in the middle of two parties that will not give me any real kind of support in trying to find out what the problem is. It's frustrating as hell.

I've got backups of the SQL and file system. Is there no way to simply delete EVERYTHING and then import the SQL all over to retrieve the posts? What's the purpose in backing up if you can't get back to what you had?!

HELP ME!
Of course they'll say it's us; if I had a pound for every time a host has said it's us and it's turned out to be them, I'd be fairly well off.

How about this, if they can find this HTML in a MyBB file, Ill pay your hosting for 3 months.

The reason we can't do anything is because the fact is this output isn't from MyBB. You are the first person to have this issue and this output, so it's highly unlikely MyBB is going to start giving you random HTML for the first time now. You can go back to what you had with a backup, I don't know why you've had to start from scratch. Reverting to a backup isn't going to solve an issue like this though.

If you want, you can PM me FTP login details so I can make sure all the files are in the right place etc, however you're probably already putting everything in the right place.
I've sent the information via PM. Thanks.
I see what the problem is now, you have PHP 4.3 and 1.6 needs 5.1+. Why there's no errors being outputted though, I don't know, they seem to hide all errors even if you set it to show them, why they do that is beyond me, and I still have no idea where that HTML you got came from, but that's the problem, PHP version. Everybody else who has had an old version of PHP has had an error message, I don't know why Yahoo choose to hide them. It hardly helps with debugging things if they force all errors to be hidden, you don't get errors for parse errors or syntax errors or anything!! Mad.

They also give your files and folders weird CHMOD settings when things get uploaded. Files were set to 664 instead of 644 and folders were set to 775 instead of 755. No idea why they choose to do that either.
In short terms of Matt's post above, find a better host. Toungue
Pages: 1 2