MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Post your web development pet peeves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2010-11-10, 07:51 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-10, 07:14 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]- People who blatantly steal other's script and call them their own.

Pisses me off when I release something, and people not only remove the copyright, but change it to say they made it themselves.

That's what I hate about seeing forums with the MyBB Powered By message edited/removed. Removing it is one thing, but editing it to claim you wrote it, when people have spent thousands of hours of their free time writing and testing hundreds of thousands of lines of code for nothing in return, and all you've done is downloaded and installed it, is insulting.
-SMF

Done.

I acutally agree with most everything here 'cept...

Quote:- Any site that's hosted on forumotion
I used forumotion WAAAAYY back when, when I was a n00bie. I mean it was super simple but I think its okay for the n00bs. I don't like the fact that people use those kinda sites but what I'm trying to say is I see no problem with forumotion it self.

EDIT:
Quote:That's what I hate about seeing forums with the MyBB Powered By message edited/removed. Removing it is one thing, but editing it to claim you wrote it, when people have spent thousands of hours of their free time writing and testing hundreds of thousands of lines of code for nothing in return, and all you've done is downloaded and installed it, is insulting.

People actually do that? What can they possibly gain from doing that?
^ e-cred
(2010-11-10, 02:35 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]People actually do that? What can they possibly gain from doing that?

Oh yeah, plenty of people do it.

It's a bit like people who put sporty badges on the back of their car (like an ///M badge on the back of a BMW, Type-R badge on the back of a Honda etc); anybody who doesn't know what an M or Type-R car is won't think anything of it, and anybody who does know will know it's a fake and will just think the owner of the car is a moron, and they don't gain anything from it.

In the same way, anybody who doesn't really care/know/understand what the software is or who wrote it won't think anything of it, and anybody who knows about forums and knows it's MyBB knows that they didn't write it, so all they're doing is making themselves look stupid.

They then try and get support, when apparently they wrote the software they're asking for support for.
(2010-11-10, 02:49 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-10, 02:35 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]People actually do that? What can they possibly gain from doing that?

Oh yeah, plenty of people do it.

It's a bit like people who put sporty badges on the back of their car (like an ///M badge on the back of a BMW, Type-R badge on the back of a Honda etc); anybody who doesn't know what an M or Type-R car is won't think anything of it, and anybody who does know will know it's a fake and will just think the owner of the car is a moron, and they don't gain anything from it.

In the same way, anybody who doesn't really care/know/understand what the software is or who wrote it won't think anything of it, and anybody who knows about forums and knows it's MyBB knows that they didn't write it, so all they're doing is making themselves look stupid.

They then try and get support, when apparently they wrote the software they're asking for support for.

>,< OMG What retards.
(2010-11-10, 02:24 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-10, 05:09 AM)Dutchcoffee Wrote: [ -> ]- When people use inline styling

Quote:- When people use px instead of pt for font sizes in CSS

I use these a lot Sad Should I not?

I can't tell if your being serious or not Blush. But, inline styling is bad if you use the style a lot. If you only use it once on like one page it's fine(no reason to make a class if you ask me; just to use it once on the whole site). However if you are going to be using it multiple times it should be in the CSS.

The second one just preference really. If you really want to get it right you should use em. It scales better across all browsers.

On topic: Just about all mine have been mentioned so I'll go with people who give advice when they don't know what they're talking about.
Oh yeah, obviously if I use the style a lot I'll make it a class. I thought you were saying it's bad, full-stop, so that's why I was confused haha
Some of my pet peeves:
- People who don't bother to actually code stuff themselves, but go looking for open source code that does the same thing. An example would be the Normal Mode ACP on my CMS: it uses NOT one drop of code made by us, instead the dev took it upon himself to just use someone else's code.

- People that claim to know a coding language, but then ask other devs to help them.
(2010-11-10, 05:58 PM)Kyuubi Wrote: [ -> ]- People that claim to know a coding language, but then ask other devs to help them.

You can "know" something without knowing everything about it. I know several coding languages and can code in them all, but I don't claim to know everything about them or always know the most efficient usage for the task at hand.

Of course, not knowing the basics and claiming you 'know' a coding language is annoying and irritates me.
everyone seem to be pointing at me Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3