MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Love the software but updating no way
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
MattRogowski no I have never updated, but have tried a few times & ask on a few forums but always get remarks like "lol Yeah it was very straight forward." so just try to figure it out myself as I have the rest of what I have done. Thanks for the input I will keep trying & am sure will figure it out in time.

Is like those that have to pay for car & home repair when I don't am just trying to learn

Thanks again
(2010-11-12, 11:47 PM)__JJ__ Wrote: [ -> ]MattRogowski no I have never updated

D:

You should count yourself very lucky that you've not been hacked. Installing a forum and not updating it for two years is dangerous. If you'd have asked for help before, we'd have given it to you. Trying to work things out for yourself is great, but suffering in silence for two years won't do you any good when someone hacks you because you're two years behind with updates. The version checker on the ACP home page would have been showing for two years straight, that's there to make sure people are aware of new releases.
Well... like MattRogowski has suggested, if you want help from us to the extent of us doing it all for you, we're willing to offer it.

MattRogowski's your #1 guy to go to.
I'm sure if you provide him with all the login credentials (Yes, you can definitely trust him), he'll get it all done for ya.
(2010-11-12, 10:49 PM)__JJ__ Wrote: [ -> ]yes I have ftp access & virtually automated it may seem to people that know these things that seem as simple to you as building a round wall is to me, but reverse the task & you might understand my meaning. But thanks for your answer.
I understand what you are saying. People that do "the computer stuff" every day often forget that not everyone is comfortable doing what we think are "the simple things".

What FTP program do you use? I can often show non computer people how to do certain things.

I can see how it can be hard to understand, none of us were born knowing it, however after two years, it would have been a good idea to learn how some of these things work. There's not much to learn to be able to upgrade properly once you know how.
Thanks all, did manage to crash the site again which is why I have the test site & don't try to update my real site. A hacker could do nothing compared to me trying to update. x-Treme that sounds very promising but is 1.6 compatible so no use to 1.4 & if I was using the current version why would I need an updater?
Thanks Gene_RI & I use filezilla, also have a webdrive supplied by my host & can access through my cp on their site so I have a few options.
MattRogowski thanks & trying to learn I am, & have figured out a lot as far as themes & plugins in my short time. I can make anything work I try except updating (not bad for a guy that graduated hs when a home computer was called "Atari"). Used my host auto installer again & have a blank 4.9 version to try again & am sure sooner or later will figure it out.

thanks again
Still, if you can just explain what exactly is causing the problem we'll more than likely be able to tell you what's wrong straight away. Might not even be something you're doing wrong, might be an issue with the host, and if that's the case you'd keep trying and trying and you'd never get anywhere because you're not doing anything wrong anyway. Before you said there was weid text above the login page, what did that say??
As mat said if you tell us exectly the steps you are taking and any text or error messages you get sure we can help you sort it out so when you upgrade you live board it'll go smoothly.
Even if you don't want to upgrade to 1.6 on your live board just yet, then consider upgrading it 1.4.14 at least.
if i remember this is just a case of ftp the new files and youre done no updater to run but then i done 1.4.13 -> 1.4.14.
am still trying. Have uploaded all the files again to the fresh install & get the

MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue.

Error Type:
MyBB Error (42)
Error Message:
Your board has not yet been upgraded. Please do so before attempting to browse it.

& tried several versions of http://www.yourdomain.com/forumfolder/in...pgrade.php with my domain & all get the "Not Found" message

can reach it through my ftp but that proves useless as it won't login. I am sure just as when I installed the arcade it is user error & something simple I am missing & once found will kick myself, but still would do it again a few times on this site before trying it on my main forum to be sure.

thanks again
Pages: 1 2 3