MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is with the CentOS following?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sersiously. I sat down and talked with two debian guys, and we are stumped. I posted a thread like this before, but it got no where. Who cares if its the free version of red hat. Red hat is really more enterprise then just VPS anyways. VPSwise, i feel debian would be better in a heartbeat. Ubuntu, Arch or Gentoo even! I'd use freaking Ubuntu Dapper before CentOS if i had to choose...

/rant.
I believe cPanel only works on CentOS.
(2010-11-16, 08:14 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I believe cPanel only works on CentOS.

and others. http://cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/sys...ments.html
CentOS is built directly from RHEL releases which is the only Linux version large corporations will use due to its (paid) support. Thus RHEL is the most widely supported Linux distro for most commercial and popular open source/consumer applications, because of this CentOS inherits that compatability. There have been dozens of applications that I have found that only support CentOS/RHEL, not even Fedora was listed as supported.

With that being said, most non-Debian and non-custom distros are based off of RHEL but do not follow the code as closely as CentOS which is why it is more popular than other RHEL based distros like Fedora.
(2010-11-16, 08:17 AM)darkly Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-16, 08:14 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I believe cPanel only works on CentOS.

and others. http://cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/sys...ments.html

So cPanel support CentOS 4, CentOS 5, RHEL 4 (CentOS 4), RHEL 5 (CentOS 5), and FreeBSD... awesome selection. Toungue
Basically what KuJoe said Toungue. Personally I loved it compared to others on my VPS.

Would never use it for a desktop but it's great for servers.
Because CentOS kicks lime?
It doesn't. Its harder then it needs to be. Cpanel can run on anything pending if you just have to install dependancies, and fake some stuff Rolleyes

I consider FreeBSD better for simplicity then CentOS. I hate Yum with a passion...
Centos is best for cpanel. It was the default and it just works great on it, they also suggest it, so that may be why.
(2010-11-19, 09:18 PM)MattG Wrote: [ -> ]Centos is best for cpanel. It was the default and it just works great on it, they also suggest it, so that may be why.

FreeBSD is the best operating system for cPanel and web servers in general, imo.
(2010-11-19, 09:55 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-19, 09:18 PM)MattG Wrote: [ -> ]Centos is best for cpanel. It was the default and it just works great on it, they also suggest it, so that may be why.

FreeBSD is the best operating system for cPanel and web servers in general, imo.

Yea but like all most no vps providers will let you use it, well i got told in irc that you can get it running on Linode but takes a lot of work.
Pages: 1 2 3