MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New to MyBB...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So i downloaded mybb and i downloaded NVU. I want to customize mybb a little than uppload it to my hosting which is go daddy. But when i go on nvu i cant open anything that remotly looks like a forum im very much a noob at this so please help me out after i make it to my specifications i have not even a percent of an idea of how to get it on my go daddy hosting so people can see it when they goto my site.. i know im the biggest noob when it comes to this but im willing to learn and what not. The only thing i want to customize is basically just little things like the header and words and forum announcements i think thats what its called anyways. So yeah all help is GREATLY appreciated. If it matters im making a gaming forum..
What the heck is NVU??

Follow the instructions on the wiki: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Installing
NV = Newest Version. I don't know what is U BTW Toungue
I don't know where there's a U in Newest Version.

You can't customise any of that stuff before you've even installed the forum...
NVU
http://www.nvu.com/
or
http://net2.com/nvu/

Its a web authoring software
It's not going to look anything like a forum when viewing it in that then. The first thing you have to do is actually install it.
To Install your forum, you need to upload your files to your GoDaddy account. You will need some soft of FTP software. SmartFTP, Filezilla. DreamWeaver, etc...

Upload everything in the MyBB zip file under the "Upload" folder to the directory on your website which you want it be to located at.

For example: www.killaXgirlz.com/forum/
forum/ being the directory in which the files are uploaded to

When you have uploaded every single file, go into your GoDaddy account and figure out how to create a MySQL database. I bought my domain off of GoDaddy, but I don't use it for hosting so not sure where it is.

Create a database for your forum. You can name it whatever you like, "forum, mybb, etc..."

You can create this database while your files are installing.

After you've created the database and your files are installed, simply follow the guidelines to installing your forum. That is, point your web browser to wherever you installed your forum, append /install/ at the end and follow the directions. You'll need your MySQL info for this.
Yes nvu is like a editing tool. I figured i would use that to put my header and what not, because u dont think i can do that once its on my site. But anyways i dont have an idea about anything like that. Im not smart when it comes to web design and what not. lol
(2010-11-18, 04:23 PM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]To Install your forum, you need to upload your files to your GoDaddy account. You will need some soft of FTP software. SmartFTP, Filezilla. DreamWeaver, etc...

Upload everything in the MyBB zip file under the "Upload" folder to the directory on your website which you want it be to located at.

For example: www.killaXgirlz.com/forum/
forum/ being the directory in which the files are uploaded to

When you have uploaded every single file, go into your GoDaddy account and figure out how to create a MySQL database. I bought my domain off of GoDaddy, but I don't use it for hosting so not sure where it is.

Create a database for your forum. You can name it whatever you like, "forum, mybb, etc..."

You can create this database while your files are installing.

After you've created the database and your files are installed, simply follow the guidelines to installing your forum. That is, point your web browser to wherever you installed your forum, append /install/ at the end and follow the directions. You'll need your MySQL info for this.

ok so i downloaded filezilla its asking for server address prot and password. I dont know what that would be nor were i can get that from or even if i need to put that in. So once i figure that out do i upload it all to the filezilla?
(2010-11-18, 01:43 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know where there's a U in Newest Version.

You can't customise any of that stuff before you've even installed the forum...

Thank you very much for that info that was very helpful. Now i jsut have to figure out how to get it on there. lol
Ok i think i may have it but im suck at the moment. I have uploaded everything in the upload folder besides everything that is in folders like, admin, achieve, cache, images. because i dont understand that part. Do i just upload them liek the others that are not in a folder or do i have to make a new directory for those or just make a new folder in forums/ with example admin as the name of folder in the forums/ folder. not sure if i made since but i do need help lmao thanks!!!
Ok i have everything downloaded correctly but for some reason get an error message when going to my website. my issue i have posted here, http://community.mybb.com/thread-82468.html
So i finally figured out how to upload everything to my website and have everything there. The problem im having is the fact that when i goto my site it gives me a error message when i uploaded everything and should be a forum. So someone tell me what i did wrong which i dont see how i did but yeah heres the picture please help thanks!
[Image: capturewcp.jpg]

To see the error code without picture just visit my site www.360gaming.org.
And you will also see the error message.
Pages: 1 2 3