MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can anybody let me borrow a server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

Currently I run most of my websites on a set of high quality VPS. Now, the problem with this is that I need to have them on different VPS, but they don't use the full resources so I'm mostly paying for unused resources. My hosting bills are topping $300/month when I'm honestly using little over what is worth $150.

So I haven't had much experience with setting up my own VPS on a dedicated server, using software like Virtuozzo or vePortal or whatever. I'd like if somebody had a spare server (doesn't need more than bare minimum resources) that I could just play around with and learn how to use them.

I have an MSN so if you'd like to chat, [email protected]

Thanks a lot.
I don't have a free server available but I would suggest looking into Limestone Networks since they offer XenServer as an OS option which I highly recommend (although we're using Proxmox now, it depends on your needs).
Thanks KuJoe. After having a talk with Mark, I'm actually debating whether getting a server and splitting it into a bunch of VPS is a good idea mostly because of the cost of individual cPanel licenses.
If you can afford $10, give FanaticalVPS a shot. I currently use them, and very happy with their service. Even though they are "unmanaged", they still go out of their way to help you with whatever you need.
Do they offer account addons like cPanel and additional IP addresses? And the transfer is unmetered but what is the bandwidth?
(2010-11-29, 12:31 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]Do they offer account addons like cPanel and additional IP addresses? And the transfer is unmetered but what is the bandwidth?

I'm not too sure. I'm sure you could contact their support team and ask. Smile
Why not go with a cloud provider like GigeNETCloud or StormOnDemand?
(2010-11-28, 07:39 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]Now, the problem with this is that I need to have them on different VPS

Care to elaborate why? Seems like an awful waste to me, giving each site its own VPS when you don't actually use the resources...

Zash Wrote:My hosting bills are topping $300/month when I'm honestly using little over what is worth $150.

That's ridiculous, I'm paying €49/month for a dedicated server in Germany (Intel i7 920, 8GB RAM, 2x750GB HDD, 5TB traffic). You could host mybb.com and then some on that...
(2010-11-29, 12:45 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-28, 07:39 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]Now, the problem with this is that I need to have them on different VPS

Care to elaborate why? Seems like an awful waste to me, giving each site its own VPS when you don't actually use the resources...
I agree. I could technically host all of my websites on a $100/month server.

However, I own 3 different web hosts that need to be in their own isolated environment. One of them is a shared host (MyBBWebHost), one of them is an oversold shared host (InfinitumHost), and one of them is a proxy host (MyProxyHosting). I have constantly attempted to find the best ways to see if I could combine them, but I can't see any good way. If anybody has suggestions in this matter, it would probably be the best thing actually.

MyProxyHosting definitely needs to be on its own separate VPS/server because proxies take up a large amount of resources and they can cause blacklisting and filtering of the server. If I were to combine this with anything, it would probably be InfinitumHost.

In respect to MyBBWebHost clients, I do not want to put them on the same server as InfinitumHost because even though both companies receive the same type of attention and importance, MyBBWebHost clients pay more and such should not be subject to the possible risks with oversold web hosting.

(2010-11-29, 12:45 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
Zash Wrote:My hosting bills are topping $300/month when I'm honestly using little over what is worth $150.

That's ridiculous, I'm paying €49/month for a dedicated server in Germany (Intel i7 920, 8GB RAM, 2x750GB HDD, 5TB traffic). You could host mybb.com and then some on that...
I agree, and because I cannot combine the hosts for my reasons above - I am looking for the next best option.

(2010-11-29, 12:45 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Why not go with a cloud provider like GigeNETCloud or StormOnDemand?

I have found that cloud providers are built more for websites with fluctuating bandwidth usage, rather than consistent high bandwidth usage. I've seen different cloud plans and once you get into the terabytes it becomes very expensive.
Oh, hmm. Well you could try to find a cloud like KuJoe recommended. Or, try cheaper VPS set ups which will most likely be unmanaged. Because, it just doesn't seem worth virtualizing a server to me.
Pages: 1 2