MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where can I find the Best priced VPS/Dedi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Anyone know good sites for fairly cheap VPS/dedicated servers? I want to host a minecraft server, but I don't want to pay so much! I can manage everything myself anyway.

It needs:
-1024/2048mb RAM
-windows server or linux
-80gb+ hdd

Smile budget is fairly low, only a server for me an a few friends - my net connection isn't fast enough!

If I can get a reasonable 2048mb RAM one, then I can also use it as an authentication serve for WSI Big Grin
http://steadfast.net is awesome. For a Minecraft server just buy a Linode node: http://linode.com
Steadfast is a bit over my budget Smile

Linode is about the same as my VPS now Big Grin
You don't need Windows or a dedi to run Minecraft, I run Minecraft on a CentOS VPS with a gig of ram. I have to limit the ram available to the JVM but I can just keep it under a gig while still running smoothly. The deal KuJoe posted seems pretty good though, it might be better than a VPS if you want to run a busy server.
It's not just for minecraft. It's also going to be a mssql authentication server Wink
Well the Windows licenses for InterServer are kind of expensive (costs as much as half of the server for 2008) and I'm not sure how well a Windows server will run on the Intel Atoms as I've never tried. Hopefully this will give you some idea based on my experience:

I've run Windows Server 2008 (SP2 and R2) on a VM with 384MB RAM, a single core 2.2GHz CPU, and with 15GB of storage with no issues (IIS7, SQL 2008 Express, and some web apps).

I've hosted over 1100 cPanel accounts on the InterServer Intel Atom server with less than 50% CPU load and RAM usage. When I was using them a while back though it was $39.99 and included a cPanel license, $29.99 without one. I wish I would have kept one of them servers (their support ROCKS!) because I miss them so much compared to virtual servers. Big Grin
Would they install windows server for me if I gave them my licence key? I get given them by my college Smile
Not sure, I would contact their support. If I remember correctly John was the person I mostly dealt with and whether it was 2PM or 2AM he would always answer the phone. One time he worked for about 36 hours straight fixing one of my servers (drive error caused a corrupt file system and I was trying to avoid restoring from offsite backups) which is amazing for unmanaged support.
@Tim B: do you know any good value VPS hosts then Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6