MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: External Images slowing the forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am admin on a fairly busy forum http://livingsims.nl/forum/index.php where we have a LOT of external images in the threads and posts. We have ZERO attachments in the attachments.php.

We had an issue where the forum was hacked and our owner decided to do a full reinstall.

All the threads and posts have been reposted and the forum is doing fine - apart from its INCREDIBLY slow. We have page load times of like 30 seconds and of course its annoying to users.

It was not like this when we had the forum prehack, and we had a LOT more posts then.

I have contacted the host and complained (server possibly oversold) but I have another forum on the same server, and that one is fairly zippy (has a lot less threads).

We have very few plugins:

Pirata Nervos Shoutbox, ZingaBurgas preparser, G33Ks Thank you plugin, Fit on page and Birthday.

I have Gzip enabled, forum jump off.

Forum settings
MyBB Version 1.6.0 Threads 468 Threads

PHP Version 5.3.3 Posts 4,922 Posts

SQL Engine MySQLi 5.0.51 Users 322 Registered Users

Server Load 10.28

Attachments 0 Attachments

The only difference I can really see between the two forums (zippy vs. laggy) is that the slow one is using mySQLi and has LOADS of offsite images.

Can you suggest anything I can do to improve on this?
(2010-12-06, 05:00 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I am admin on a fairly busy forum http://livingsims.nl/forum/index.php where we have a LOT of external images in the threads and posts. We have ZERO attachments in the attachments.php.

We had an issue where the forum was hacked and our owner decided to do a full reinstall.

All the threads and posts have been reposted and the forum is doing fine - apart from its INCREDIBLY slow. We have page load times of like 30 seconds and of course its annoying to users.

It was not like this when we had the forum prehack, and we had a LOT more posts then.

I have contacted the host and complained (server possibly oversold) but I have another forum on the same server, and that one is fairly zippy (has a lot less threads).

We have very few plugins:

Pirata Nervos Shoutbox, ZingaBurgas preparser, G33Ks Thank you plugin, Fit on page and Birthday.

I have Gzip enabled, forum jump off.

Forum settings
MyBB Version 1.6.0 Threads 468 Threads

PHP Version 5.3.3 Posts 4,922 Posts

SQL Engine MySQLi 5.0.51 Users 322 Registered Users

Server Load 10.28

Attachments 0 Attachments

The only difference I can really see between the two forums (zippy vs. laggy) is that the slow one is using mySQLi and has LOADS of offsite images.

Can you suggest anything I can do to improve on this?

mySQLi is actually newer technology, but it does not work well with forum software. every server i have ever encountered that is running mySQLi has issues with slow forums. not to mention that your host probably won't downgrade you since multiple customers are hosted off the same servers. seems like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place my friend. Sad
Ok, so you are suggesting I change the DB to MYSQL?

My OTHER forum is on MYSQL, so the host supports both.
Are the images all on the same site?? If they're not, it's always going to take a while because of the amount of requests it's having to make.

A server load of 10 though is shockingly high. Who's your host?? There's no way MyBB on it's own is making your server work that hard. Shoutboxes can increase load significantly, but not this much.

(2010-12-06, 05:17 PM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]mySQLi is actually newer technology, but it does not work well with forum software. every server i have ever encountered that is running mySQLi has issues with slow forums. not to mention that your host probably won't downgrade you since multiple customers are hosted off the same servers. seems like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place my friend. Sad

What...?? That's the first I've heard of this... I don't think anybody else has said they've had a very slow forum on MySQLi but a fast forum on MySQL, and I don't see how it only wouldn't work with forums either.
Its a shared host, www.one.com.

I have heard that MYSQLi is not the best thing to use, and it is odd that this one is so slow, compared to the other where there are MORE attachments and an even HIGHER server load.

I also think the images are connected to this problem. At the moment they are stored on photobucket etc, but thats the same as we had when the forum was an 1.4.11 and it was not so slow. The previous version was on MYSQL. I wanted to see if we could install a lazy loader type thing (http://code.google.com/p/jquery-images-ondemand/) but then I would have to edit the mycode for all the existing images I think?

I am willing to try that, but I don't know where the mycodes code is.
Even higher server load?? Higher than 10?? To me it sounds like your host is overselling the hell out of that server. I think that's the highest load I've heard of since I joined here.
Well, thats all very fine, but digressing onto server load is not really helping Smile.

Its the same server load as it was when we were on 1.4.11 and NOW its like a snail. The images set up is the same as well.

Any other suggestions?
So you're not concerned about having such an enormous server load?? The higher the load, the slower it'll be...

I don't think external images are the problem, it's even slow on pages with no external images. The index for example has no external images, so external images aren't going to be doing anything to that page. A page as simple as search.php just took 12 seconds to load, where are there any images on that page??

You can try changing it to just using MySQL in config.php, but I highly doubt it'll suddenly get much faster just by doing that.
(2010-12-06, 05:27 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]What...?? That's the first I've heard of this... I don't think anybody else has said they've had a very slow forum on MySQLi but a fast forum on MySQL, and I don't see how it only wouldn't work with forums either.

then maybe you should do some research matt, because mySQLi is slower on forums than mySQL. :p (I don't mean to be offenseful but my words always come off that way Sad )

but you're definitely right, there is no way he should have a server load of 10, that's crazy :O
(2010-12-06, 05:56 PM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]then maybe you should do some research matt, because mySQLi is slower on forums than mySQL. :p (I don't mean to be offenseful but my words always come off that way Sad )

but you're definitely right, there is no way he should have a server load of 10, that's crazy :O

Again, why just forums?? You're saying that on a blog or CMS or something, it'd be just fine, but it somehow knows when it's on a forum and then decides to be slow...?? I'm not seeing the logic. What is it about specifically forums that suddenly make it slow?? We use MySQLi here, I see no problems... after 60 seconds of Googling, most of the things I've read have been saying MySQLi is better. If you can link to something that says that MySQLi is dramatically slower than MySQL, then please do.
Pages: 1 2