MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possibly switching to myBB...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Cruise after a conversation with the lead developer of SMF I logged out, logged into my host Cpanel and deleted SMF. My mantra "never again phpBB", I have settled into MyBB.
(2010-12-08, 07:36 AM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]Cruise after a conversation with the lead developer of SMF I logged out, logged into my host Cpanel and deleted SMF. My mantra "never again phpBB", I have settled into MyBB.

What did he/she say that prompted you to switch?
(2010-12-08, 01:41 PM)Cruise Elroy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-08, 07:36 AM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]Cruise after a conversation with the lead developer of SMF I logged out, logged into my host Cpanel and deleted SMF. My mantra "never again phpBB", I have settled into MyBB.

What did he/she say that prompted you to switch?

That's probably something you're better discussing in private. Smile

Themes are easily created/customised if you know HTML and CSS.

I suggest you install a test forum and have a play - I'm sure you'll be impressed. Cool
private Huh why Huh

Cruise,

The gist of it was about an audit feature that showed the backwards compatability of mods. 1.1.10 was found to have a security weakness. 1.1.11 was the solution to that, and the most stable. Many of the older mods and themes would still work with 1.1.11 some as far back as 1.0.7, they just wouldnt show up in the audit. I was smitten by an abandoned theme which changed the theme at certain times of the day. I hacked the theme to accept a banner rotator in the header which allowed me to set "zones". As many know the release of 2.0 was the end of that backwards compatability.

My next mission was to find a portal. I am old school about dynamic content on my index.html, which is the lure for "spiders". There were only a two, one older mod (not worth much) and another call PortaMX (SMF 2.0 and as I recalled only RC3). A fellow webmaster mentioned a script called "ETANO" which was abandoned this year while waiting on the release of SMF 2.0., it was a community building script for dating. Though I never got that far I think its main purpose was to allow permissions for private forums on the fly. Its redeeming facet was an extensive configurable user profile, something facebook is chasing now. So I hack it into a portal. It was tied to SMF buy a SUPER "DBA" in two databases. One for ETANO and one for SMF. Basically a dejavu nightmare installation. You had to do the installs simultaneously adding the SUPER DBA at a specific point, no docs and no mention of this. After a Cpanel Switch and a dozen failed installs on two databases it finally worked. Only to find users joined on dates as yada yada 1969. Whimpering with my face in my hands, I delete Etano.

So there I sat with a fresh DB and fresh SMF 1.1.11 when I see 1.1.12 in the Admin version notification. Thinking well I have a fresh install, what can it hurt? "CLICK" Immeadiately failed. Several downloads and re-installs later of progressive versions later I see, webinstall.php. At my maximum level of exaserbation, I conclude the culprit is the Cpanel switch as not even my original 1.1.10 will not revive the audit feature. I proceed to plead to my Host support to help me document this so I can go back to SMF support and confront them with a WTF!!! One unlucky newbie support rep sets me OFF!, and I promptly execute a colonoscopy sideways on the entire Support Department all the way to the OpDirector about the 3 days a CPanel swtch takes for Web proporgation. So to apease me they start from scratch at 1.1.10. As I sit here I am looking at the phone bill for that 3 1/2 hour long distance call. So I take this back to SMF.

The proported VP of SMF gets wind of this and I actually give him access to my hosting Cpanel which has every bit of my billing info down to the credit card. He sees it. webinstall.php defaults to SMF 2.0 even though you specifically chose 1.1.12. He repeats this 3 times. What I didnot tell him is you have complete all your installation all the way to execute then back page to the version selection and re-select 1.1.12 then proceed to forward page to the submit button. If you change any input now it will revert back to 2.0. Then submit, it will install 1.1.12. However the audit is crippled. It makes no difference what you do.

The VP realizes FINALLY he is not listening to me and states that it may be due to OWNER PERMISSIONS, with a comment its a WINDOWS kinda of thing... well with seven domains and 15 FIXED IPs on a LINUX SERVER I think I have mastered owner permission and absolute path. Now I am all for being dazzled by brillance but dont try to baffle me with bullshit. Suddenly his light bulb goes off. That hasnt worked in years!!! Well it worked last week before the Cpanel switch and my susequent clicking on 1.1.12 in the SMF admin cpanel version notice.

Enter the lead developer. "YADA YADA yammer yammer yammer. That hasnt worked in years." OKAY FINE! Oh by the way! Your VP with access to my host cpanel found a 1.1.12 webinstaller bug. Suddenly another user chimes in, "Oh!, thats what that is supposed to do in SMF 2.0, I couldnt get that to work either!

I logged out, logged into my host cpanel deleting everything except the SMF directory name so to be a constant reminder. I evaluated every forum offer now available it came down to one out of Germany, while touting support in english which I was leary and it was $399 plus paid mods. The other MyBB.

I am currently in collaboration about a custom portal with neat features for MyBB. With whispers about MyBB 2.0, if they follow the example of SMF 2.0 i will hop on my tractor dig a hole a half mile in the back of my property and dump my computers in it and buy a used WebTV! Barring that, I will blow the dust off my C++ Dev and relearn it. One thing I am pretty sure is the extensive user profiles is not doable, at this time.

Sorry about the ebook.Blush

p.s. SMF is second only to phpbb for spambots. There are hack shops setup in china for the explicit purpose of finding new SMF installations.
No worries dude, MyBB 2.0 is a ways off,a nd when it does become available, I am sure the upgrade script will work correctly.

Also, since MyBB is not copvered by cPanel packages, you don't have to worry about the third party installers, etc. You install MyBB all by yourself, no dependencies on cPanel packages, add-on software or "Fantasticrap".
Paveman,

You got my attention my first visit to this forum. I do appreciate the unannouced empathyBig Grin.

There you go Cruise, theres your answer.
(2010-12-08, 05:35 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Also, since MyBB is not copvered by cPanel packages, you don't have to worry about the third party installers, etc. You install MyBB all by yourself, no dependencies on cPanel packages, add-on software or "Fantasticrap".

I'm no fan of cPanel or Fantastico either; I've had mixed results with both of them as far back as I can remember.

To be fair, I've had good luck with SMF and can't really complain too much about it. Overall it's worked for me and served me well...but I'm not looking forward to the 2.0 upgrade because they basically wipe out 98% of all the interesting mod packages available for the forum. Yes, the 2.0 release does incorporate a lot of the items that would be separate mod packages, but the whole thing makes me uneasy.

So, I don't know...myBB may turn out to be the next step for me. I'd like to see more mods for it, but I understand the work involved. I may grab a copy and have a look through it, possibly do a test install. Perhaps I'll try creating a theme as a test of how well I understand it.

Does myBB use a separate db table for each board or is everything (all forums) kept in one table?

Also, is there a WYSIWYG editor for myBB? If so, do you know if the syntax highlighter works with it?

A WYSIWYG editor will be in 2.0, which isn't for another 2-3 years.
Cruise,

dont give the following too much attention as I am probably wrong. As I understand MySql, once table(s) is/are defined it is not editable. I saw for an instant a success confirmation installing tables. I think I saw 7 tables installed, but it was a blink of the eye.

LOL I predict from your Qs that you will install MyBB and you will abandon SMF. Welcome to the Club.
Another one switching from smf i left smf back in july and switched, i joined a mybb forum and really liked it so installed a test board and here i am today.
Pages: 1 2 3