MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Programming without knowing math?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In most programs math is required for doing calculations and other algorithms, right?
Well ever since first grade i never really paid attention to math. Recently i found out(as well as a few other friends) that we don't know how much is 8*7 or something as easy as that.

Yeah, i am pretty bad at math. Do you think there is a chance someone like me to break the barrier to become a programmer?
The entire basis of computer programming is mathematical algorithm and logical thinking. That's why in my school (I'm sure in my state), computer programming is considered a Math course.

You really should learn at least basic algebraic math, not just for programming but as common knowledge - it will really help you in life. I mean, you could become a programmer - maybe even a good one, but it will be harder without math knowledge.
I believe that a sound knowledge in math will help you in complex programming, naturally. However, basic programming is quite simple. "If this is true, Do that." As long as you can understand a few of the basics such as that, programming simple standard applications should be a breeze. When you get into regular expressions, and whatnot, you might need to understand remainders (%) and some other stuff like that. Most applications don't really use anything beyond your standard multiplication/division. At least, I've never experienced anything like that.
Simple if statements are easy and I've probably written more ifs than mybb's switches Toungue.
But i was looking at a PI Calculating program written in C or C++ and i daresay most i couldn't comprehend due to math calculations.
Then learn math. I think it's a pretty good indication that you won't go very far in the field if you already aren't understanding it.
But there is no way to go back. I am 11th grade(don't ask how i got here). I have to go back to kindergarten to learn math. Starting from the basics
(2010-12-18, 06:44 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]But there is no way to go back. I am 11th grade(don't ask how i got here). I have to go back to kindergarten to learn math. Starting from the basics

I'd say 6th grade. Everything before then is addition and subtraction. 6th grade is when most begin diving into more specific math concepts.

Long division was something I didn't learn until senior year in high school. I knew how to get problems done, but I never knew how to do them the *correct* way.

Put it this way, and maybe you might feel better: I wasn't that great at math either, but I was good at grasping the basic concepts of math. Therefore, I would program basic functions into my calculator to get the answers during tests. Like I said, math helps tremendously in programming and in math, but I feel as though as long as you practice the skill, what you need to know will come when you need it.
I don't know programming but i am quite good at maths. So, i can program Big Grin

Maths is programming!!!
I can barely add 2+2 but I am a pretty good programmer.
(2010-12-18, 06:50 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]I can barely add 2+2 but I am a pretty good programmer.
Maths is not about arithmetic calculations. Its well above that Wink

Calculators are made for the purpose you stated above Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4