MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 Servers for one forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2010-12-20, 05:32 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]You won't need Apache if you don't mind editing the database via command line. If you want to use phpMyAdmin then you need Apache.

I don't have Apache, or do I?
If your running a website on the server then you most likely have Apache.
How will I know if I have Apache?
I would also be interested in this, but I have a question regarding attachments. When we add an attachment to the forum, where will it be stored? Do I need to have TWO sets of attachments in folders?

Here is my situation:

I have a forum on a shared host and its like a snail. A friend of mine has offered me space on his server (VPS), but he's always taking it offline for this that or the other.... so I would like to use his fast server when it is up, but swap back to my shared host when he takes his server offline. How could I do that? (He also has a bad habit of forgetting to tell people in advance that he is gonna take the server off line)
(2010-12-20, 03:53 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I would also be interested in this, but I have a question regarding attachments. When we add an attachment to the forum, where will it be stored? Do I need to have TWO sets of attachments in folders?

They'll be stored in the directory set in the admin panel. If you want them hosted on a server different from the web servers you can.

I don't see what having the database on a separate server has to do with the attacher files them selves.

@Kyle - If you are managing a server you set up you should know if you have apache. Or, some other http server.
(2010-12-20, 03:59 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-20, 03:53 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I would also be interested in this, but I have a question regarding attachments. When we add an attachment to the forum, where will it be stored? Do I need to have TWO sets of attachments in folders?

I don't see what having the database on a separate server has to do with the attacher files them selves.

Well, its about speed right? I have a downloads forum, with a lot of attached pictures and files and users can upload files (and download) and the attachments are logged in that database - so if I am using database speedy instead of database snail, how will it know the correct path to upload/download files from my forum?

I'm sorry if its like a really noob question, but I AM a noob.

Once the file starts downloading the connection to the database is gone. All the database stores is the file name. The directory for attachments is a variable set in the Admin CP.
Ok, I am using ZingaBurga's Xthreads so I guess I had better ask Zinga....

But, hmm, in general -I am not finding these settings in the Admin CP - do you have a link?
It's under Server and Optimization settings; the setting is called uploads path.
Thanks Joshua - I am now stuck on this bit :

$config['database']['read'][]['hostname'] = 'localhost_read_address2';

What do I put there?
Pages: 1 2 3