MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 Servers for one forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wait.. where is that line from? I don't know what that has to do with changing the uploads path...
1. Don't store attachments in DB if you're a site focused on downloads.
2. Unless you have 2-3 million posts you should not run a MyBB forum on multiple servers. You can buy one good one that should do it.
3. If you're a site focused on downloads consider using a CDN. Some adjustments to core files would allow it.
@ Joshua - the original post is about running two servers for one forum. I asked about the uploads path as the site is focused on downloads and I wanted to know how that would work.

The question was about where I got the address from for the second server. That line of code is from the blogpost on how to set up a master slave configuration.

@labrocca - I have been told not to store attachments in DB as it can slow things down - but we are a small site and don't get THAT many downloaders...its just an oversold server from the host. My friend has a fast server (current server load is .27) and has offered me space. My current host is being an lime and making it hard for me to move, so I thought to try and hook into his fast server.

Write to both (so I keep stuff up to date) and read from his server.

I don't know what a CDN is, though it sounds interesting.

(2010-12-19, 05:10 AM)E-Hero Kyle Wrote: [ -> ]Let's say I have a fully grown forum and the SQL and CPU of one server can't hold everything any more, how can I use a separate server to help server 1 to carry the forum?

That's not just a fully grown forum then, but a monster like forums.steampowered.com or ubuntuforums.org - and I'm not even sure if those are using more than one server. It's highly unlikely for a single forum to come anywhere close to maxing out a server. Unless of course it's a Netbook or VServer, in which case you don't need two, but a single, more powerful server (one that deserves the name).

Adding a second server does not make things faster. It makes things slower, because you have suddenly added new problems such as network latency and bottlenecks to your setup. You don't want that between the webserver / PHP, and database; especially not if the DB connection and Internet traffic have to share the same 100MBit network interface. If you have lots of visitors, your internet connection alone will already use a considerable amount of bandwidth, adding the DB traffic (which is not optimized for size) to that is not a viable option.

If you have to have two servers, you need to have both servers in the same rack, and a dedicated gbit link between them that is not shared with anything. However that solution is usually so costly that no one does it if they don't absolutely have to.

And you don't have to. Not with forums. A single, decent server should be cheaper and provide better performance with a far less convoluted setup.
Thanks Frostschutz - thats nice and clear. I will just move my whole set up over.
Pages: 1 2 3