MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: UPDATE! Random forum latency and page hangs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone noticed any random latency and/or page load hangs after 1.6.1? I had my host check the server and my traceroute and everything is fine. But yet I continue to get page hangs and slowness randomly. Is there anything I should look for in my forum settings to speed things up? I have already optimized it as best I could.
Hi Rocketfoot, I actually had this pre 1.6.1 - and still do. I cannot find any reason for it - but I am off to a VPS - if it keeps doing it after that then I guess we can rule out the "you have a shared host and so thats why" reason.

We do both have XThreads - I don't know if Zinga ever thought that people would use XThreads SO extensively - I am hoping that XThreads is NOT the cause..... (I DON"T think it is, I think its pretty unlikely, but I am at my wits end with this random slowness).

I deactivated XThreads - and yea, I got some speed - so I dunno - its random, so its hard to test for a long time. Also, it does this random slow down on forums where I have no XThreads templates set.

Maybe we need to go through all the XThreads templates and make sure we are using 1.6 code - not 1.4....... some of those templates are pretty old.
Could you give us a list of your plugins? And who's your host?
(2010-12-22, 12:33 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Rocketfoot, I actually had this pre 1.6.1 - and still do. I cannot find any reason for it - but I am off to a VPS - if it keeps doing it after that then I guess we can rule out the "you have a shared host and so thats why" reason.

We do both have XThreads - I don't know if Zinga ever thought that people would use XThreads SO extensively - I am hoping that XThreads is NOT the cause..... (I DON"T think it is, I think its pretty unlikely, but I am at my wits end with this random slowness).

I deactivated XThreads - and yea, I got some speed - so I dunno - its random, so its hard to test for a long time. Also, it does this random slow down on forums where I have no XThreads templates set.

Maybe we need to go through all the XThreads templates and make sure we are using 1.6 code - not 1.4....... some of those templates are pretty old.
i suspected Xthreads also but I don't think that is the case. As you said, my forum hangs on just about any forum. I mainly notice it after hitting submit on a post (new or reply) Sometimes it posts instantly other times it hangs for 20 to 30 seconds. I do notice it on this forum also, that's why I thought that it might be a inherent MyBb problem?

I have a pretty extensive list of plugins, but no shoutbox or anything that is know to cause slowdowns. I have tested with most of the plugins turned off/uninstalled and still experienced the latency and page hangs. I'll work up a list...my Host is Hostdime.
@ Rocketfoot - I tried using the forum as an ordinary user and I am seeing almost no page load issues. Average page load times are under 5 seconds. EVEN on the downloads threads. Weirder and weirder.....
(2010-12-22, 01:22 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]@ Rocketfoot - I tried using the forum as an ordinary user and I am seeing almost no page load issues. Average page load times are under 5 seconds. EVEN on the downloads threads. Weirder and weirder.....

LOL...I know, my server is fast! That's what really catches my attention when the hangs happen. These hangs are just so random.
The only time this site is slow for me is when the tasks are being run every hour. Does it happen a specific times or is it totally random??
(2010-12-22, 04:26 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]The only time this site is slow for me is when the tasks are being run every hour. Does it happen a specific times or is it totally random??

I'll have to keep my eye on the times...It is normally when i send a PM or post a topic. But there are other times when it is just slow changing pages. It could be during tasks...or just heavy traffic load.
Try disabling all your plugins and see if it doesn't hang.

In ./inc/init.php, find:
define("TIME_NOW", time()); 

Add after:
define("NO_PLUGINS", 1); 

If it works after doing that, then it's one of your plugins.

(From what I read above, you have turned off/disabled most of them, but try disabling all of them to see if it makes a difference. Remember to remove that NO_PLUGINS code after you try it! Toungue)
Interesting thread HERE Rocketfoot

http://community.mybb.com/thread-84797.html
Pages: 1 2