MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: COPPA Compliance and Registration issue...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, I have a bit of a problem.

In my forum, I plan to have children register, and I have the COPPA set to "Enabled." However, it's still not letting children under 13 register. How do I set it to allow kids to register?
To completely allow children to register you have to disable COPPA. COPPA is only in effect at the US anyway.
(2011-01-01, 10:29 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]To completely allow children to register you have to disable COPPA. COPPA is only in effect at the US anyway.

If that's the answer, then the COPPA form itself is in violation of COPPA, as Enabling COPPA informs the public that the site is COPPA compliant.

http://www.coppa.org/comply.htm

The way it reads to me, COPPA is meant to safeguard children by regulating the means, method, and usage of personal information gathered by websites, as well as gather permission from parents/guardians for the child to register and participate. It does not specify that you cannot allow children under 13 to register, only that their information must be protected.

Besides, if COPPA usage is meant to deny registration for those under 13, why does the Admin CP have three settings on the COPPA compliance section ("Enabled", "Disable this feature", and "Deny users under the age of 13")?

Seems kinda redundant to have TWO settings that deny users under 13... Arguably, you could also say that all three deny users under 13...
(2011-01-01, 10:57 PM)pqphillips Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-01, 10:29 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]To completely allow children to register you have to disable COPPA. COPPA is only in effect at the US anyway.

If that's the answer, then the COPPA form itself is in violation of COPPA, as Enabling COPPA informs the public that the site is COPPA compliant.

http://www.coppa.org/comply.htm

The way it reads to me, COPPA is meant to safeguard children by regulating the means, method, and usage of personal information gathered by websites, as well as gather permission from parents/guardians for the child to register and participate. It does not specify that you cannot allow children under 13 to register, only that their information must be protected.

Besides, if COPPA usage is meant to deny registration for those under 13, why does the Admin CP have three settings on the COPPA compliance section ("Enabled", "Disable this feature", and "Deny users under the age of 13")?

Seems kinda redundant to have TWO settings that deny users under 13... Arguably, you could also say that all three deny users under 13...

Disabled - All ages allowed register
Enabled - Children under 13 can register but their parents have to mail/fax in a form
Deny users under 13 - Children under 13 aren't allowed to register no matter what
(2011-01-01, 11:05 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Disabled - All ages allowed register
Enabled - Children under 13 can register but their parents have to mail/fax in a form
Deny users under 13 - Children under 13 aren't allowed to register no matter what

I understand this. I WANT to have the parents/guardians send in the form, so I have it set to Enabled. However, doing a test run on registering under 13 with COPPA enabled, I get this error:

[attachment=21100]

THIS is where my problem lies.

Even though Enabled lets those under 13 register, it still won't allow it.
Hmm, do you have 1.4 installed? When I try this at my forum there's a whole separate page where you enter your birthday. And if you're too young you get sent to a totally different page saying so. I don't remember if 1.4 did it that way or not, but I do know that that's not the way 1.6 does it.
put your forum URL i want to see if i can register.
I use MyBB 1.6, pyridine.

Forum URL

forums.everfaire.com

Let me know who you are if you can register.

My username there is Lord Dragonspyre
Works fine for me, I put my birthday year as 2000 and proceeded fine.
When you submit registration is when the error comes up.
Pages: 1 2 3