MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO Urls (with renamed htaccess) gives 404 fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok, so recently I was paid to write a custom conversion script for someone, and they wanted SEO URLs on their MyBB board. So we turned it on in the ACP (Automatic Detection), and renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess. Automatic detection worked fine and we got:
http://www.someurl.com/forums/forum-2.html
for our forum links.

However, when clicked on, that link generated this lovely 404 error.
Not Found

The requested URL /home/domains/account_name/public_html/forums/forumdisplay.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.someurl.com Port 80

After a few minutes of research I learned this was a pretty common mod_rewrite error with CentOS, and how to fix it.

In order to correct the error, we simply had to change:
RewriteEngine on

To
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /forums/

So, anyone else who encounters this error, it is a simple and trivial fix. Enjoy.
Fantastic, thanks.
OMG THX THX THX THX THX!!!! FIXED MINE Smile
Yeah, I only spent 20 minutes searching, and then about an hour reading 5 different sites before I came across this Wink

Its too bad the generic config for Apache on CentOS has this issue.
What in particular causes this error? I've not had it.
(2011-01-25, 05:22 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]What in particular causes this error? I've not had it.

Something in the way Apache is configured, but I didn't find anything that said exactly what, just lots of people having the issue while using CentOS. Maybe someone else will know, but I sure don't.
AllowOverride None > AllowOverride All maybe? Idk, shady area for me.
Yeah, I'm not that good with htaccess stuff, I have to look it up every time I want to do something.
dear Dylan M
thank you finally solve it confused me many days
many thanks
Pages: 1 2 3