MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to gain access to System Account?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
No it did not.
Ok install psexec from the PSTools zip. Then go into cmd and type:
Psexec.exe -i -s cmd.exe

Then close explorer using task manager. And type "explorer.exe" into your psexec cmd.
Thanks, now that command worked. I am System Smile
Thats a very very bad way to do it Toungue Killing the explorer process can have harmful affects on your computer.

This is so much simpler:
  1. Go into safe mode as described in my previous post (by using F8 when you restart your computer)
  2. Launch Registry Editor. (start->run --> regedit)
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList in the Registry Editor.
  4. Double-click the Administrator key in the right pane.
  5. If the Administrator key doesn’t exist, right-click on the above tree in the pane, choose New, DWORD Value, name it Administrator and press Enter
  6. Type 1 in the “Value data” box, and press Enter
  7. Close regedit
  8. Reboot

Now your "Administrator" account is always on the Welcome Screen or Classic Logon Screen

What Windoze really needs is a proper sudo!
(2011-01-25, 06:43 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Thats a very very bad way to do it Toungue Killing the explorer process can have harmful affects on your computer.
How so? To my knowledge it causes no problems. It only stops the displaying of folders and files on the screen. When started back up again, it is perfectly fine.

TBH, running under the system account or even a superuser administrator is far more dangerous Toungue
So if a virus enters while i am in System it would have access to any file and registry then?
Yea, but if you run as an administrator you're at rusk anyway. Just run explorer as system, and do only what you need Smile or better, just run regedit from your psexec cmd by typing "regedit" Smile
Just to ask...will this theoretically work on an Account that has limited privileges on Windows XP?
(2011-01-25, 08:53 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]How so? To my knowledge it causes no problems. It only stops the displaying of folders and files on the screen. When started back up again, it is perfectly fine.

TBH, running under the system account or even a superuser administrator is far more dangerous Toungue

It also affects any file copy/move operations and a few other things. Killing processes is always risky. Using psexec to run commands is fine, but killing off a process to re-run it is risky. All I'm saying. Besides, you don't STAY logged in as Admin. You "switch user" log into Admin, do what you need to, LOG OUT, and relog back into your normal user session. Thats what quick user switching is for. You should never use the Admin account for everyday tasks, but it is annoying to require "safe mode" to see it. Hence the above registry hack.

(2011-01-27, 06:47 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Just to ask...will this theoretically work on an Account that has limited privileges on Windows XP?

What do you mean theoretically work? As in can a limited account use psexec?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...s/bb897553
And for the dangerous side of psexec:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/P...an-Do.html
Wait what? I thought you could access the admin account by running

net user Administrator active:yes

??
Pages: 1 2 3